Advertisements
Advertisements
A VERY TELLING RECENT POST OF ANOTHER ADOPTEE SAID: "How do I deal with this, I wish I were never been born, I am lost. I feel that if I had enough cash that I should go after the state for puting me threw all of this garbage."
A recent song I discovered and I highly recommend listening to for any adoptee is by Anastacia called "LEFT OUTSIDE ALONE" 2004. It describes exactly how I feel about my adoptive father.
What I am about to say is not to offend anyone, I can only write from my own experience and thoughts about being an adoptee.
I wish every person who is out to adopt children would read all of these adult adoptee posts prior to adopting so that they have a better grip on how to handle being adoptive parents and that it is a lifetime commitment and not just getting a baby (we are not pets).
I went through stages of different ways of dealing with being an adoptee ( I first noticed I did not feel close to my sister - then began seeing how my friends families seemed to be warmer, laugh together - you know close). My first way to handle feeling disconnected started around second grade through high school - I just would make in my mind pretend stories that I was part of a different family. I initially bonded with my adoptive mother but my adoptive father was always emotionally detached. It was the mother who wanted a "baby". That created problems for me that I did not understand until now ( I'm 37)
When my older brother and sister (both adopted from different families) reached a certain age - they went out and adopted two more "babies". I received all kinds of attention as a baby and then at about second grade was left to raise myself - no rules no boundaries no discipline.
We went to church weekly but there was no communication in the household, my parents did not argue so I never learned that people can argue and then make up ( I have now since figured that out). My adoptive father was the church organist - the public do-gooder - but at home was in his own world barely acknowledging us. In grade school I seriously thought I would become a nun - and I came very close in 6th grade to move into the convent when my family moved to a new city.
At age 8, I then witnessed my older brother and sister getting zero positive attention and both were kicked out of the house at 18. I was 10 years younger and felt as a child I was not safe and I began then to plan my own exit plan for when I turned 18. ( I didn't realize it then but now in reflecting I know that is what I did). No one of the four children (all adopted family) stayed close.
I dealt with the detached feeling by being a super achiever - going after any company award for recognition from 18 through 32. During that period I met thousands of people and families that I could see that close family spirit - and I knew in my heart that wasn't a part of my life. I would choose relationships that were long distance or physical ones - not allowing myself to be too close to anyone.
Once my adoptive mother past away almost 10 years ago (she was the one who wanted to adopt in the first place) - the adoptive father immediately remarried - he cried three days after my mothers death "I don't want to be alone" and considers his new wife's children his kids (which would be fine but his adoptive children are distant and do not hear from him -all emails go through his new wife. It is ridiculous.)
In an Adult attempt to build a one on one relationship with him I sent my adoptive father for his birthday a personal cd of songs I wanted him to hear - lyrics that cried out for love - and a letter with an open mind to hear about his life, how he was raised - hoping to get a clue why he is the way he is. I received a short letter not responding to any questions and saying his wife enjoyed the music too. Something is very strange about this man and I know in my heart I tried to get to know him and now he is over 70 and will die having adopted four babies with the world of possibilities - only to abandon the responsibility of being a father. That sickens me for my other adoptive siblings - especially my older brother.
On Fathers day 2003 I called him to say hi and asked about my older brother how he was doing. My adoptive father said "I think he's dead" - I said "I refuse to believe that - and what can I do to help" - he stated he had the police looking into it ( Brother lives 8 hours away from my father).
A few weeks later in 2003 I found out he wasn't dead and now me and my brother correspond and is a source for some support. Would you believe that my brother (who is alive but thought dead) has still not received a visit from my father!?!
I see families like the Laci Petersons who are devastated when their adult child is missing - I am glad to know it exists out there because I certainly have not experienced it! My brother (now 47) is very sad and that is what kills me because he did not deserve this - he wonders why his dad never spends time with him father & son. What it taught me is that it is not personal - he is treating us all the same - we were all abandoned. Believe it or not it makes it easier to accept for me knowing this.
I am writing this not to vent or to have anyone feel sorry for me - I have grieved through this situation and just know I have to be strong, independent and I will never have a close family life. Grasping for love from someone who is emotionally vacant does more harm then to move on.
After reading some of these adoptee posts (I am so grateful for!) I feel I have a different kind of family. I am hopeful that this thread and maybe something in what I write will bring some thought to those other adult adoptees out there.
Thank you for taking the time to read this - I know it was long. I could have wrote volumes of specific examples and experiences but I think this is more than enough. If you are experiencing difficulty with your relationship with your adoptive parents as an adult adoptee I would really LOVE to hear about it to learn from you!
Hi Wiseone,
There is such a lot in your post that I relate to.
My adoptive father was/is(I don't see him any more) very distant towards me.There was no real warmth in my family home, though I would not say it was neglectful.I'd have to say after living with my adoptive parents for so many years I don't feel I know them at all.
I was, or at least desperately tried to be a high achiever. I was terrified of failure.The lack of interest I felt from my adoptive parents makes me think why did they ever bother adopting me.
I've tried to bare my soul to both my mum and dad and just got no response at all.I think total hatred would be easier to deal with than the cold indifference.
I've let go of ever having a relationship with them, though fortunately I have a wonderful husband who i have a very close relationship with, and great children too. I have vowed that I will show my love to my children, and tell them I love them. I will be honest with them and let them get to know me.So much of my parenting is a direct reaction against how I was parented.
Adoptees do have differing needs through out their lives.You're right-we are not pets.I didn't actually feel that important.I felt like a discarded unwanted present.It didn't tie up with the "chosen, special" story I was told.
Jude
Advertisements
As an adoptive parent, after reading your post, I am discussed to be associated with parents like these. I am so sorry!!!!! It is hard to understand why some bparents give birth and treat their children the way they do, but there is no excuse to adopt any child if you do not intend to love them forever with unconditional love. I guess there are disfunctional families of all kinds. Again, I am very sorry that any child was treated this way and I am glad to see that you both are turning a bad situation into something positive.
Wiseone,
Your life story sounds like it would make a good eye opening book for all parents. If you ever decide to write a book, let us all know.
Jude4691,
We have adopted 3 children already and intend to adopt 2 more next year. Your life sounds like our oldest son's girlfriend's life and she wasn't adopted. She always comments about how lucky our son is to have a family like ours. I am sorry that you weren't adopted into a different family.
Dear Jude & Rights, Thank you for taking the time to read this post. It helps a great deal to hear that I am not alone in feeling abandoned and that there are parents who seek out the feelings of adoptees like 'Rights' - that is so very wonderful! Jude your quote 'hatred would be easier than emotional indifference' is powerful. There is no way to break through 'emotional indifference' if the person is unwilling to spend the time and effort.
I found a letter I wrote my ad-father a year and a half ago - asking questions about why he made the decisions he made - here is parts of it:
First and foremost, Happy Birthday - you are fortunate to be healthy, loved,
and secure. I do not know if you ever were able to read my emails to you,
since I never received any emails and they are sent to a different location
I can only assume you haven't. Contacting you by telephone is fine - it is
just that sometimes its hard to know when a good time is and when it isn't.
Email is just a great way to stay in touch but I prefer my messages to go to
you directly because they are personal and about my relationship with you.
I have made a special CD for you and it may take you a few times listening
to it but each song has special meaning to me about inspiration, drive,
ability to accept change, loving others, and wanting love.
I reminded you in a telephone conversation that I was 'adopted' by you as a
baby - I am sure I could have ended up anywhere as an orphan but God put me
in your hands. After watching the video TIME LIFE Box Set footage of the
past (1930's through the 1950's) I was able to learn allot about the
conditions you were raised in and how much the world has evolved since then.
I have told you I am interested in your history and your life and hope one
day you will open up and talk about them. As busy as life gets - I would be
sad if I didn't at least make the attempt as I always do - to get to know
you better. There was a segment in these videos on the Adoption of babies
and the selection of suitable parents was strict then as well as checking
for the childs medical history that could affect the parents.
An orphan baby needs parents for security and stability - not just as an
infant but for life. I feel as though I am back to being an orphan at times
and it makes me sad. My birthfather has emailed me at least 4 times since
fathers day and I never hear from you.
When Mom died suddenly -you cried and said you didn't want to be alone -I
respect the decision you made to remarry but regardless of what children
your current spouse has and their grandkids - YOU ADOPTED FOUR CHILDREN AND
THEY ARE YOUR KIDS- They didn't choose you did!!!
I am now 36 and have spent little or no time with you. Is it that you are in your own world and the past is just out of your mind. I don't cost you anything. And yet even communication which is free doesn't occur either. Have you given thought as to why you 'Adopted' in the first place and what did and do you want for the children you adopted? Is is just All Over and whatever we do we do?
That is something I disagree with. There are families that help each other throughout their life - but separation, locking doors instead of resolving conflicts was the
way things have been dealt with. What goes through your
mind about the role of a 'Father'?
You have pensions from working for years in a Governmental
system and a great education - but where and how did that knowledge apply to
being a parent. Did we talk about the SAT tests and how to prepare for
them? Did we talk about Athletic scholarships?
What I am trying to say is that I think while you have the time and mind contemplate your life and the decisions you made and hopefully you will come up with some revelations about yourself.
What I say may seem direct - but in all reality - I am being REAL and
willing to face the TRUTH! I have much love for you and am accepting that
things went the way they did - but you can be sure I learned so many lessons
from the pain of not having any guidance.
I hope you listen to the lyrics of the music and more than once. I cried my
heart out making it because the words in these songs really affect me.
May God Bless You Today and Everyday for the rest of your life.
Respectfully your daughter
-> THERE WAS NO LETTER IN RESPONSE TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS.
To Jude, I Wrote The Above Repsonse To Your Kind Reply To My Initial Post. Please Stay In Touch, Wiseone
It is heartbreaking to read your posts, WISEONE and Jude. I do not understand how parents can be so emotionally distant. Were their parents that way towards them, I wonder? I guess I'd have to ask WISEONE, since he has not responded to your letter, if you know that your father is in good health, although poor health now would not excuse his earlier lack of interest in your life. I am so sorry you both have had to endure this pain.
I am an adoptive mom with 4 bio sons ages 24 to 33. Our adoptive son came to us at 17 through foster care. None of my family, including my husband, can understand how I can love him as much as I love the sons to whom I gave birth. However, as surely as I would give my life to save any of them, I would also do so for the precious one I have known for not quite four years now. His adoption is not legal and, though he is now 21, I pray someday it will be.
Advertisements
Hi Wiseone,
The "spirit" that is behind your letter to your adad is the same as the spirit I have had in writing to my adoptive parents.There is such a desire to cut through all the falseness and connect with a real person.
I still love my adoptive parents-if you can love people you don't even know.
I'm sure my aparents have issues not even related to adoption that affected their ability to parent.Why wouldn't they try to work those through?I couldn't live my life in such shallowness.Truth and connection means so much to me-and I have it with my husband and children.I even have it more with our daughter placed with us for adoption.Despite her attachment issues which push me away and are brought on by things she should never have gone through.Isn't family everything?
I would rather me out on my own completely than know it was all a sham,
Jude