Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi - Someone mentioned TACA airlines as a direct flight to Guatemala with no layovers. I checked out their website and was wondering what "Economy" and "Economy - Restricted" means? I tried to find the meaning on their websit but couldn't locate it....and being a first time flyer, I have no idea.
Any other comments on this airlines?
Thanks!
Advertisements
Just flew TACA in May departed from Miami no lay-overs, flight couldn't be any better. Both departing and arriving flights were great, planes were both new planes. TACA only has first class and economy seats. They may have restrictions on flight cancelations and flight changes.
I flew TACA within Guatemala last week--up to Tikal. The planes are new and the staff is very professional. I would not hesitate to use them if they had good connections from where I live.
Thanks to those who provided some input!
Anyone else fly TACA?
Since I'm completely new to this, was wondering if we'd get our return tickets while in Guatemala or if they'd come with our tickets before we leave for Guatemala. :confused:
Here I am saying "we," and I haven't completely decided to fly yet! Speaking it into existence I guess!;)
Gosh....when we originally book, maybe we get all the tickets at once...I have no idea. :o I'll need to do some investigating these next couple months.
Mama when are you thinking of traveling? We are going to Guatemala 7/27 but I may make another trip Labor Day weekend alone. Go for it...I don't like to fly either but the fact that I want to see our daughter and hold her and begin bonding with her overrides my fear!! I will be thinking of you as you make your decision!
Brie
Advertisements
We flew taca in March....1st of all...it was pretty nice. Bring some cash if you want to eat a meal on the plane...or bring your own. We booked both flights at the same time and printed a receipt of the computer...then just checked in and then they gave us our tickets. When we checked in Guatemala to fly out is when we got our return tickets...but we had already paid and reserved. On our website we were not allowed to reserve seats...then when we got to the gate we were lucky to get 2 seats together b/c everyone else had reserved particular seats...if the website you are on is like that...call hte airlines after you make your reservation to reserve seats together. WHen I was looking at flying for a second visit trip, I kept finding good flights, but I had a hard time finding two seats together anywhere on the plane!
I just flew Taca From JFK direct to GUat last month (still here in Antigua) The flight was great. As mentioned bring money for food or pack your own, flight was great - and half empty so my mom and I had our own row. We did book through an Agent so we could pick seats. I Have to call them and change my ticket on Monday as I'm hoping to wait out PGN. I know that restricted tickets limit changes etc. I was told there is a $100 change fee, though sometimes mentioning adoption will get that waived - we'll find out Mnday. One thing to make sure is that if you do have a layover in San SAlvador (many flights do) that your entire flight is on TACA - sometimes from Guat to SS you are put on Lacsa - and I was told to avoid them like the plague -- they lose luggage and miss connections!
GOod Luck
Melissa
We flew TACA the night before Thanksgiving for a visit trip. Our plane had mechanical problems, they put us up in a AWFUL hotel in Miami, woke us at 4am (we were traveling with our two daughters) and put us on another plane at 5am. We arrived 24 hours late, lost our suite at the Marriot, lost a days time with our baby, and began our visit EXHAUSTED. They did pay for the "wonderful" hotel in Miami and gave us money for food...but that hardly mattered. Each minute with my son was precious...and I lost too many due to TACA.
There was also no apology from TACA. I wouldn't fly them again if you paid me. American Airlines has direct flights also...they were reliable and at the time only $25 more. We used them for pick up.
To be fair, the TACA flights (once in the air) were fine and the service was good.
Advertisements
More praise for TACA...we used them for our visit trip, and both ways they upgraded us to business (first) class and it was awesome! Even the food wasn't bad! The flight crew was especially nice. Only problem -- the headphones in our seats weren't working, so we couldn't hear the movie.
We wanted to use them for the pick-up trip, but nothing was available so we used United. Not bad -- but we sure missed the upgrade that TACA gave us! ;)
WE flew them direct from JFK to GUA and it was GREAT. We got snacks on the way down and bought a sandwich for about $5.00 on the way back. They give you snacks and alcohol and any drink really for free.
The only thing new to me was that I was a minority on the plane and did not understand much spanish. But it was great, cheaper and most importantly, DIRECT!
We flew Taca business class, very reasonable....like $850.00 round trip. this was last year in August but it was a great flight from JFK direct to GC.
On the way home....major delays, but it was another good flight and business class was very nice.
Jenn :-)
Due to weather issues we missed our connecting flight in Atlanta to Guatemala City. They rebooked us on another flight that laid over in El Salvador for 5 hours and then took the 30 minute or so flight to Guatemala City from there.
1st of all layover in El Salvador was way better than it sounds. It was a small, clean, safe airport and we really had a great time. I think we were just happy knowing that we were so close to the baby!
I know I got off topic, but we did fly TACA from El Salvador to Guatemala City.
I swear when my son looked out the window at the plane and said "it says Taco!" - I liked to died.
I don't enjoy flying, and to be flying on an airline that I have not heard of before in a foreign country
was not doing it for me.
Anyways....The plane looked very new, and I thought the seats seemed larger. State-of-the-Art TV monitors, and a professional crew. I told my mom I am flying TACA next time all the way. I was impressed.
Advertisements
We had an excellent experience with TACA from JFK to Guatemala City, both last month when my husband, our 15 mo-old son (adopted from GUA in 6/05) and I flew to visit our baby girl (she turned 1 on 6/8/06), and in 3/05, when we went to meet our son. The staff was professional, courteous & helpful. Got our tickets via Travelocity, we chose seats online & then had to buy lapchild ticket at airport (cost $221 for our baby); very nice lady then changed our seats to bulkhead seats, choosing aisle & window to lessen chance of someone else wanting to sit in middle so we actually got the whole row. Same courtesy in Guatemala. Direct flight, new planes, good fare, sweet flight attendants (each of them spoke to our son & 1 even held him)--what more can you ask for? (Except to get out of investigation/get PGN approval, that is!)