Advertisements
Advertisements
It feels pretty weird to have come across this thread, seeing people go through things that I had been going through all my life. 
My mother passed away almost 30 years ago while giving birth to me - Postpartum haemorrhage. I was born in southern part of India. Being the only child, I was raised by my maternal grand parents, as my father never re-married and was living all alone. During childhood, I had the best years of my life with lots of pampering and life in itself was just a smooth sail. 
A few years went by and my father sued my grand parents to gain my custody. The court over ruled his appeal to let me stay with grand parents. This court room saga went on for almost 5 years and I seldom saw my father. It was when I turned 13, reality struck and pretty hard. My grand father passed away and for the first time, I went through the pain of losing someone I knew and loved. 
I then finished my boarding school and was entering college. My grand mother was too old to take care of me and so I stayed with my maternal uncle and aunt until I finished college. As someone here pointed out, “It’s hard for people to look beyond blood”, turned out to be the case and clearly felt like I was a burden to them. Things went sour between us and I had to be tight lipped and be by myself to pass those college years. 
All my life, have seen my father just a handful of times and so thought I should spend time with him at least from now on. Reality struck again, as I hear his passing away due to a freak accident. I was left with only my grandma who loved me more than anything else. A couple of years later, she too passed away of old age.
There were phases in life right from childhood, where I would think of my mother and what if she had been alive. Like most others, I would have been part of a happy family with brothers and sisters, but all of those seemed to be just a distant dream. Now here I am, almost 30 now, all alone during the COVID-19 lockdown, looking back at those times and it seems I was clearly going through stages of depression, but somehow managed through it.
I stopped blaming life and tried to stay positive with whatever tantrums it threw at me, kept an open-mind to learn more about things and people around me, figured out ways to stay stronger mentally - exercise really helped, started to express myself more than before and formed a small but good social circle with the ones I trust. It’s funny, but I feel people like us belong to a small herd of evolution by natural selection. We were selected by mother nature to go through something so traumatic that could only strengthen us mentally to prevail the journey of life.
We should be spreading nothing but love, hope and positivity to people like us. Life is precious, you get to live only once and so, fill it with happiness. 
Trust me, it’s the best medicine one could ever ask for!
Last update on June 27, 12:37 am by Ajit Kumar.