Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi I have presented with a child with Chronic Kidney Disease! Child is on medications,sodium restreicted diet,runs,walks,and talks. Has same interests as my son. It kind sounds interesting. He has Chronic Glomerulon Nepphritis. Would you consider more information or not? Pretty sad know one will adopt a person with a disease!
Thoughts or ideas?
Bostonbeagle
What I know of this is it's not contagious for one. The child will probably have extra doctor's appointments and you will have to watch his diet. You will have to ask for more information to find out how serious it is, like if it's likely he will need dialisis or an eventual transplant or if it's terminal or anything. For us I would not have a problem, but only you know what your family can handle.
Advertisements
Many of us here take in children with challenges no other will. Sometimes those challenges can be easier for the family if they are medically related or sometimes physchologically related (hoping that makes some sense). If your family can take on the responsibilities and care of a child with this disease - making themselves so knowledgeable on all of its facets including an early passing in life or what-not, and it works then my recommendatin would be to go for it - but do make sure first that you can handle whatever challenges it may bring and those best to help you with the facts of what it takes to parent are the caretakers now (i.e., foster parents) so my two-cents says inquire further and then make your decision(s).
Best wishes and remember this board is great for all kinds of issues with kids - not just the behavior kind!
I have no knowledge of that particular issue. I'd do as the PP suggested and research it, plus find out more about the particuar child's diagnosis.
You cannot make an informed decision unless you're informed. Good luck!
Go to MayoClinic.com and type in glomerulonephritis. It is all one word. It has a good article that will tell you about the disease. It sounds to me like there are two types. It can be a part of a systemic disease (e.g. lupus) or it can be a disease in and of itself. (primary glumerulonephritis). Our third son has a similar kidney disease called focal segmental glomerulosclerosis. It is enough different that I can't tell you exactly what to expect, but I assume he may be on a high blood pressure med., possibly something for high chloresterol, and yes you will have to watch his sodium, and possibly limit protein. As far as the long term I don't know. They told us our son may have to have a kidney transplant, etc. but he hasn't had any symptoms whatsoever for five years. It isn't scary though, but for us it was important to remember his meds, and test his urine everyday. it soon became routine.
I am familiar with this Kidney Failure, my husband is in it.
First, I feel for any child with this disease, it's a hard one to deal with. You will need to know what percentage the kidneys are working at. At 15-10% a person needs to go on dialysis permanently (or until transplant) to clear toxins from their system. The child will need to see a Nephrologist and have labs run. Kidney function is tested through bloodwork. Their diet will need to be restricted; low sodium, low phospherus (milk, dairy, beans) and low potassium. It gets easier with time, dealing with this disease. Dialysis is a hard one though. It will kill you to see your child on it (it kills me to see my husband on it). You will want to ask the Nephrologist if a transplant will be the right thing for them. I'm not aware of the type of kidney disease you stated, but there are many forms that lead to kidney failure. My husband has it due to diabetes. Your child will be more tired than other kids and this can lead to severe low esteem.
With everything I mentioned above, I would consider this child. Many people can function with kidney disease. They don't look sick, but they are. Yes, your life will be filled with lots of doctor's appointments, but this should only occur once a month. A kidney transplant is a temporary patch. It could last 1 day or 25 years. It all depends on the kidney.
Feel free to pm me with any questions. I will be glad to help answer them.
Advertisements