Advertisements
Advertisements
This happens over and over again, and I don't know why. Several times now, we have had children arrive and I am told "they have sleep issues"/"they don't sleep"/etc. etc. I spend the entire first night wakeful and waiting ... and waiting ... then I worry that something has happened and I go in to check ... several times ... and they sleep on, and on and on. Typically the first night in our home EVERY child has slept 13 hours SOLID (I may get 5 or 6 if I'm lucky :p).
Any ideas? We have a lovely little 3-almost 4 year old boy who arrived yesterday. Sound asleep at 7 and slept through until 8 this morning. If things go as usual, tonight he should sleep 12 hours, the next night 11 and he'll probably stay around there.
We do have a nighttime routine which I start night 1 ... stories, singing, prayer or "blessing" depending on what the family is comfortable with ... is that really enough to make a difference? Or is something else at play, in your opinions?
This is IMO...
When children are in a traumatic environment, they can't sleep without inherent worries (whether consciously or subconsciously) for their safety.
When they're taken out of a threatening environment and feel "safe" (again whether consciously or subconsciously) they tend to be able to sleep. Sleep is when were are instinctively are most vulnerable. If we don't feel safe, it's going to be hard to sleep. (Think about the whole being hunted by creatures during caveman years mode.) Even though the kids aren't being "hunted", they may feel they're in "danger" in some of their homes.
Granted, that may be an oversimplification.. but I do feel it contributes to a lot of sleep problems for our kiddos.
On the other side, there are some disorders (like ADHD) that make it difficult for a kiddo to get to sleep or stay asleep.
I do feel you are also doing a wonderful thing with your "winding down" routine. It's very important to help them settle down and really prepare for sleep.
Advertisements
I think the bedtime ritual certainly helps but sleep is also one way that the body works through trauma so I'd think it's not unusual for foster kids to sleep more right after entering a new home. It's traumatic to be removed from everything that's familiar. So while some kids certainly do have trouble sleeping in an unfamiliar environment (or struggle with sleep in general for various reasons) I'd also guess it's pretty common for foster kids to need extra sleep at first or even in the long term as they work through emotional trauma.
wendy_bird23
I think the bedtime ritual certainly helps but sleep is also one way that the body works through trauma so I'd think it's not unusual for foster kids to sleep more right after entering a new home. It's traumatic to be removed from everything that's familiar. So while some kids certainly do have trouble sleeping in an unfamiliar environment (or struggle with sleep in general for various reasons) I'd also guess it's pretty common for foster kids to need extra sleep at first or even in the long term as they work through emotional trauma.
I agree with this too. Sleep heals a lot.
We see the same thing in our home. Children (even very young) come with sleeping meds and yet they have no trouble sleeping for us.
It breaks my heart but I know some don't sleep well for fear of people entering their room at night. They don't have to worry here and so they sleep the sleep of the dead.
Same here. We have our FC and those first days were HUGE sleeping days, they regulated and now wake at the crack of dawn....HOWEVER after the weekend visit with bio mom they will power sleep at least 2 days in a row and sleep in mostly.
Wish I could get the baby to power sleep lol!
Advertisements
Noting significant changes in a child's sleep patterns is always a good start to finding out how best to help the child's needs.
I definitely agree ... but I still wonder how it can feel "safe" when it is a complete stranger's home. And yet we see it so consistently! His baby sister is also in care; there is a remote chance we may have her as well at some point and she supposedly has sleep issues. I can't imagine this working for a baby .. but I'm really curious.
I agree with wendy_bird. Sleep is sometimes a reaction to great stress, especially for young children and infants. In the day care where I work, during the first few weeks in care infants will often sleep a lot more and will fall asleep at very unpredictable times during the day while they adjust. I just think of it as a way that the body/brain shuts itself down to help cope with too much stimulation and stress from all the new faces, routines, noises etc. I think its probably similar for foster children, especially those who are very young or who have been through severe trauma.
Maybe by the time they have acclimated to the new environment, your calming routines help them maintain that sense of safety and relief they felt those first few days.