Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone on here who is a teacher fostered a student from their school? How did it go? Pros, cons, suggestions, etc would be appreciated :)
I know of someone else who did this but I can't remember her name. She fostered a teenage boy. Check the special needs tab on the top of the screen and do a question in that forum. The person might still be around. It didn't go well for her. He ended up aging out of foster care.
Advertisements
Kat, that was coach wife. her dh was a high school coach and the kiddo was on his wrestling team. funny, before this thread, i was thinking about her. she hasn't spoken up in a very long time.
I think it would be great if you could do it.
The kids wouldn't have to change schools and would be with someone familiar instead of complete strangers.
My hubby and I are teachers. We would do it in a heartbeat if the situation arose.
I would DEFINATELY have the CW set up some strick boundaries with the birth parents. They could not be permitted to come into the school and talk to you about the kids for sure.
And, IMHO, it would be a plus that you already have a relationship with the kids.
It is much easier to handle behaviors when you have a connection and have known the kids and seen what all they have been through....as oppossed to a FP who is a stranger and does not know the kids at all...if that makes sense?
Hope things work out well for the kiddos!
goodvibes
There was also Stevenstwin who fostered her teenage student (in Canada).
i forgot about that.
neither one has been posting for a long time. wonder how they are?
Advertisements
I am a teacher too, but haven't considered this...Slightly OT, but there is a "teacher" movie called Beyond the Blackboard about a first year teacher who is assigned a class at the homeless shelter and becomes a foster parent for a student. Based on a true story.
I work with a teacher who got certified just to take a particular child who was his student. They have had him in their family for several years, but the boy is not open to adoption, so they are long term placement. It meant the child changed schools to where they live but sounds like it has gone very well. Not to say no bumps in the road, but overall well. I would guess it depends a lot on the child and family how it goes...
I offered to be a resource for the kids if needed. I can only take one of them because of my bedroom space and I don't know if they want to separate the kids...but, they seemed interested in my offer. Now its a wait-and-see situation.
I am a student and want to live with a teacher. I talked to her about it but i guess because it is illegal she can't take me in. Is there anyrhing i can do to make this living arrangment possible legal ways by myself without parents being involved? I live in New York.
Advertisements
Sheena85
Any update on the kids? Did they get removed?
They did get removed and went to live with cousins. They stayed in our school and seemed to be thriving in their new home. They are great kids.
bp29
I am a student and want to live with a teacher. I talked to her about it but i guess because it is illegal she can't take me in. Is there anyrhing i can do to make this living arrangment possible legal ways by myself without parents being involved? I live in New York.
Without parents involved? No. Sorry, but not a chance.
However, if parents agree to sign over temporary guardianship, or if DSS removes a child from the home, then it becomes a legal possibility.
Good luck.
I worked with a child whose foster parent was his teacher. One thing I would think about is the relationship you have with the family. If there is any antagonism between the kids' parents and either you or the school, I would be very hesitant. With the child I worked with, the teacher nearly lost her job due to allegations that likely would not have happened if she had not worked for the school. Being an experienced foster parent puts you in a better position, since you already know the system and they know you, but it could still be a risk.
Advertisements
I'm a 16 year old, and I'm supposed to talk to a DSS worker in the next week or so. My guardian ad leitem says they will likely remove me from the home due to regular abuse. I don't want to be put in a group home, and I'm thinking about asking my drama coach who has been my mentor for the past year (the attendance clerk at my high school) whether she would be able/willing to go through the process to become my foster parent until I'm 17 and eligible for the Independent Living Program at least. The problem is, I'm not sure how to ask her or if this is even possible. Or how it would work if it were possible. Would any of you all know?
Note: My dad would not be willing to give up custody voluntarily as he remains adament on keeping me even though he is routinely abusive, but he has nothing against her and actually likes her quite a bit.
Last update on April 14, 6:51 pm by Melanie Pritts.
That was coach wife, Kat. Her husband was a high school coach, and the child was a member of his wrestling team. I was just thinking about her before I saw this topic. She hasn't spoken anything in a long time.