Advertisements
Advertisements
Friend called me up asked would I take her 2.5 yrs old daughter in via Fictive Kinship, I stated sure, I knew the baby before she got took, (I didnt know she was in care until last week)
From my guess she has been in care for almost a Yr the foster parent stated she would be interested in adoption (but I dont think they are pushing the issue, not sure)
Thing is I live in a 1 bedroom yes she's a girl and yes I have space for a toddler bed in my room and it's just me there so there's plenty of space for her. But what will the CW say? again she is 2.5, I dont sleep in the room at all due to back problems so I sleep in my living room on a "air mattress" that helps my back. (Weird I know, i only use my room to get dressed in)
The mom still has a say so in placement she gave them my information last thursday so I'm should be expecting a call pretty soon (I would think)
She will be 3 in December and my lease is up in December so if I pass background(which I will) I will look into a 2 bedroom because of course she's getting older. But still curious as to will they just keep her with the foster parents who want to adopt her or place her with a *fictive kin* which is me in a 1 bedroom who is also willing to adopt her.
Yes I've seen the child before, I've held her, watched her, and ect me and mom just lost connection for awhile.
It would be alot of help if I got a response from someone in Texas that know the guidelines in Texas, Not being rude but out of state guidelines wont help me.
I can't speak from experience, but here are the guidelines regarding kinship and fictive care in Texas:
[url=http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/handbooks/cps/files/cps_pg_4500.asp]4500 Placing a Child With Relatives and Other Kinship Caregivers; 4510 Definitions Related to Kinship Care; 4520 Placing a Child With an Unverified Kinship Caregiver (keep title) and text from Initial Steps for Placing a Child With an Unverified Kins[/url]
"Appropriate and willing relatives and family friends are generally given priority for placement. Often the child is already familiar with his or her potential kinship caregivers. The child may have an ongoing relationship with them, and they may have a personal interest in the child. Kinship caregivers are usually familiar with the issues and challenges faced by a child's family. Having an ongoing relationship with the child's parents often makes it easier to work toward the permanency goal selected."
Given that the mother still has some rights in helping to determine placement, you should have an opportunity.
The sleeping space one is bit vague - the requirements are "adequate sleeping space" which typically means 80 sq ft in a private room, 40 sq ft in a shared room.
For this, and for the whole situation, I'd recommend contacting your local DFPS/CPS office to ask questions. If the child has been in care for almost a year, and your friend is calling you up to see if you'd take her, it sounds like she's in legal risk and parental rights are most likely to be terminated. In that event, CPS will give first ask to the foster family for adoption.
Advertisements
I did I spoke with the mom's lawyer today she stated If I passes a Background and Homestudy I would be ok, and that the space is fine, she stated she has placed 4 kids in a 1 bedroom before. She did state the ad litem may have an issue with removing her from the home she is now but we will see court is next week so we will see what goes from there.