Advertisements
Advertisements
...but one I'd like to voice anyway.
Hello, friends, here's the situation. I want to be a foster mom, and plan to be one as soon as it's realistic. I love working with kids--I'm an elementary education major (I'm twenty, by the way), and I've worked in childcare for awhile now. I'm also very very short. Under five feet. This is something I'm a little self conscious of. I wouldn't want it to hinder children's impression of me, especially older children, or have them feel like I don't have authority. I'm also single at the moment, and I don't want to wait till I'm with someone to provide a home for children. This is the main thing that makes me apprehensive about the idea of working with older kids/teens.
Has anyone felt similarly or been in a similar situation? Is this dumb to be worried about? Thank you in advance!
Hi Maria,
I know you posted a few months ago, but I just found your post. I am a young, single foster parent. I am a teacher, I'm in my early twenties, and, while I'm not quite as short as you are--I'm 5'2--I too was worried about how older children might react to me. In fact, it was brought up by my home study writer. However, I find that keeping an semi-realistic age gap (at least 10 years) and having a clear parent/child relationship from the beginning are more important than height difference and really helps set the tone of respect and security more than anything else. Good luck! It's always nice to see other young people interested in helping children.
Last update on August 5, 4:47 pm by Mama Caz.
Advertisements