Adopting from Grenada

The official flag.



Grand Anse Beach, St. George.


The capital city of St. George at night.

Island of Carriacau.

Street scene in St. George.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Grenada

Carib Indians inhabited Grenada when Christopher COLUMBUS discovered the island in 1498, but it remained uncolonized for more than a century. The French settled Grenada in the 17th century, established sugar estates, and imported large numbers of African slaves. To learn more please read About Grenada.

Hague Convention Information

Grenada is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, when the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for the United States on April 1, 2008, intercountry adoption processing for Grenada did not change.

NOTE: If you are not resident or domiciled in Grenada, you may not adopt. Furthermore, no adoption is possible for children who are not resident in Grenada.

Who Can Adopt

To bring an adopted child to United States from Grenada, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. To learn more please read about Who Can Adopt from Grenada.

Who Can Be Adopted

Grenada has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption. You cannot adopt a child in Grenada unless he or she meets these requirements.

In addition to these requirements, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law for you to bring him or her back to the United States. Learn more about these U.S. requirements.

How to Adopt

Adoption Authority

Grenada's Adoption Authority

Grenada Adoption Board, Ministry of Social Services

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Grenada generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Grenada
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  6. Bring Your Child Home

To learn about this process please read How to Adopt from Grenada.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Grenada. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. To learn more please read Traveling Abroad in Grenada.

After Adoption

There are no post adoption requirements for Grenada.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Grenada

Lance Aux Epines Main Road St. George's, Grenada

Mailing address: P.O. Box 54 St. George's, Grenada Tel: (473) 444-1173; Fax: (473) 444-4820; Email:

Grenada's Adoption Authority

Grenada Adoption Board Ministry of Social Services Tanteen, St. George's Grenada Tel: (473) 440-6575, (473) 440-8717 Fax: (473) 440-4780

A free information booklet is supplied on request.

Embassy of Grenada

1701 New Hampshire Avenue, N.W. Washington, DC 20009 Tel: (202) 265-2561 Email:

Grenada also has a consulate in New York.

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)

1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information