Adopting from Hong Kong S.A.R.

The official flag.


Hong Kong skyline.

Hong Kong Island, Eastern District Buildings.

Tian Tan Buddha, Lantau Island.

Stilt houses in Tai O.

Victoria Harbor.

The official coat of arms.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Hong Kong

Occupied by the UK in 1841, Hong Kong was formally ceded by China the following year; various adjacent lands were added later in the 19th century. Pursuant to an agreement signed by China and the UK on 19 December 1984, Hong Kong became the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) of the People's Republic of China on 1 July 1997. In this agreement, China promised that, under its "one country, two systems" formula, China's socialist economic system would not be imposed on Hong Kong and that Hong Kong would enjoy a "high degree of autonomy" in all matters except foreign and defense affairs for the subsequent 50 years.

Hague Convention Information

China is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Since Hong Kong Special Administrative Region is a territory of China, all adoptions between Hong Kong and the United States must meet the requirements of the Convention and U.S. law implementing the Convention.

NOTE: Special transition provisions apply to adoptions initiated before April 1, 2008.

The Government of Hong Kong tends to prefer that prospective adoptive parents are ethnic Chinese. However, non-ethnic Chinese may also adopt if willing to consider an older child or a child with special needs.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Hong Kong is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore to adopt from Hong Kong, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. To learn more please read about Who Can Adopt from Hong Kong S.A.R..

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Hong Kong has implemented the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Hong Kong must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. To learn more please read about Who Can Be Adopted from Hong Kong S.A.R..

How to Adopt

Adoption Authority

Hong Kong's Adoption Authority

Adoption Unit of the Social Welfare Department

The Process

Because Hong Kong has implemented the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Hong Kong must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600a with Hong Kong before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption. Your adoption could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions.

The process for adopting a child from Hong Kong generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Hong Kong
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  6. Bring Your Child Home

To learn more about this process please read How to Adopt from Hong Kong S.A.R..

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Hong Kong. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. To learn more please read Traveling Abroad in Hong Kong S.A.R.

After Adoption

What does Hong Kong require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

Hong Kong does not have any post-adoption requirements.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Adoption Services Support Groups for Adopting Persons

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Consulate General Hong Kong and Macau

26 Garden Road Central, Hong Kong Mailing Address: U.S. Department of State Hong Kong Immigrant Visa Unit 8000 Hong Kong Place Washington, DC 20521-8000 Tel: (852) 2841-2211 Fax: (852) 2845-4845

Hong Kong's Adoption Authority

Adoption Unit Social Welfare Department Room 201, 2/F., North Point Goverment Offices, 333 Java Road, North Point, Hong Kong Tel: (852) 3595 1935 Fax: (852) 3595 0025 Email: Internet: Hong Kong Adoption Authority

Diplomatic Mission for Hong Kong

The Embassy of the People's Republic of China 2300 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington, D.C. 20008 Tel: (202) 328-2500 Fax: (202) 588-0032 Email:

The People's Republic of China also has consulates in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Houston, New York City, and Chicago.

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)

1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

American Citizens residing in Hong Kong and Macau are served by the USCIS District Office in Bangkok, Thailand.

E-mail: Phone: +66-2-205-5352 Fax: +66-2-255-2917 Mail: DHS/USCIS Sindhorn, Tower 2, 15 th Floor 130-133 Wireless Rd. Lumpini Pathumwan Bangkok Thailand 10330


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information