Adopting from Mexico

The official flag.



City Cathedral.


Maya children, Chiapas.

Chichen Itza.


A young Mexican boy.

Baja Desert.

Tarahumara women near Lake Arareco.

Puerto Vallarta cathedral in Puerto Vallarta.

A traditional Mexican folkdancer.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Mexico

The site of several advanced Amerindian civilizations - including the Olmec, Toltec, Teotihuacan, Zapotec, Maya, and Aztec - Mexico was conquered and colonized by Spain in the early 16th century. Administered as the Viceroyalty of New Spain for three centuries, it achieved its independence early in the 19th century. To learn more please read About Mexico.

Mexico Adoption Alert

There have been multiple adoption alerts for Mexico over the years. To learn more please read the Mexico Adoption Alert page.

Hague Convention Information

WARNING: Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Mexico before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter.” See the “How to Adopt” section for more information.

Mexico is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). To learn more please read about Mexico and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Mexico is governed by the Hague Adoption Convention. Therefore, to adopt from Mexico, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. To learn more please read about Who Can Adopt from Mexico.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, children from Mexico must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. To learn more please read about Who Can Be Adopted from Mexico.

How to Adopt

Adoption Authority

Mexican Central Authority

The Mexican Central Authority for Adoptions is the Secretary for Exterior Relations, or the Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE). The SRE is responsible for policy and issues key documentation certifying Hague compliance, including the Article 23 Certificate that the adoption or grant of custody occurred in compliance with the Convention. The SRE implements the Hague Convention through the National System for the Full Development of the Family, or the Sistema Nacional de Desarollo Integral de la Familia (DIF). The DIF is a public institution in Mexico in charge of implementing national policies on all matters pertaining to the family, and the implementation of domestic and intercountry adoptions resides in their purview, along with final execution of adoptions through the legal system.

The Process

Because Mexico is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Mexico must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention's requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements for adoption.

NOTE: If you filed your I-600A with Mexico before April 1, 2008, the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption; it could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  5. Adopt the Child in Mexico
  6. Bring your Child Home

To learn more about this process please read How to Adopt from Mexico.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Mexico. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. To learn more please read about Traveling Abroad in Mexico.

After Adoption

What does Mexico require of the adoptive parents after the adoption?

We strongly urge you to comply with the wishes of Mexico and complete all post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to Mexico's history of positive experiences with American parents.

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family - whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non- U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Mexico

Paseo de la Reforma 305 Colonia Cuauhtémoc 06500 Mexico, D.F. Tel: 011-52-55-50-80-2000.

Mexican Central Authority

Secretaria de Relaciones Exteriores (SRE) Dirección de Derecho de la Familia Website: Mexican Central Authority

Sistema Nacional Para El Desarrollo Integral de la Familia (DIF)

Website: DIF

Embassy of Mexico

Consular Section 2827 16th Street, NW Washington, D.C. 20009-4260 Tel: (202) 736-1000 Website: Embassy of Mexico

NOTE: Mexico also has consulates General in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, El Paso, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, New York, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, and Hato Rey, Puerto Rico.

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: or Adoption Website: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures, contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).

For questions on filing an I-800A and I-800 under the Hague Adoption Convention: USCIS, National Benefits Center (Hague process): Telephone: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local)


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information