After Adoption in Ethiopia

Ethiopian farmers children in the fields near Guzara Castle, Gondar region.

Post-Adoption/Post-Placement Reporting Requirements

Pursuant to Ethiopian law, adoptive parents must submit post adoption reports at three months, six months, and one year. After the first year, the reports must be filed yearly until the child turns 18. This is a commitment that the adopting parents, home study agency, and adoption agency must sign when submitting documents for the adoption. We strongly urge you to comply with Ethiopia’s post-adoption requirements in a timely manner. Your adoption agency may be able to help you with this process. Your cooperation will contribute to that country’s positive experiences with U.S. citizen parents.

Post-Adoption Resources

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. There are many public and private nonprofit post-adoption services available for children and their families. There are also numerous adoptive family support groups and adoptee organizations active in the United States that provide a network of options for adoptees who seek out other adoptees from the same country of origin. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family, whether it is another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some places to start your support group search:

North American Council on Adoptable Children

North American Council on Adoptable Children North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

If families have concerns about their adoption, we ask that they share this information with the Embassy, particularly if it involves possible fraud or misconduct specific to your child's case. The Embassy takes all allegations of fraud or misconduct seriously.

The best way to contact the Embassy is by email at Please include your name, your child's name, your adoption agency, the date of the adoption (month and year), and, if possible, the immigrant visa case number for your child's case (this number begins with the letters ADD followed several numbers and can be found on any document sent to you by the National Visa Center). Please let us know if we have your permission to share concerns about your specific case with Ethiopian government officials.

We strongly encourage you to register any complaint that you may have about an adoption agency in the following ways:

1. You may file a complaint with the state licensing authority where your adoption agency is licensed and conducts business. The Child Welfare Information Gateway, which is maintained by the Department of Health and Human Services, provides a list of state licensing authorities.
2. You may also file a report with the state's Better Business Bureau through their website.
3. If your agency is a Hague-accredited adoption service provider, you are encouraged to file a complaint through the Hague Complaint Registry. This information will be used by the accrediting entities to evaluate the agency in connection with the renewal of its accreditation status.

Back to Adopting from Ethiopia