How to Adopt from Honduras

Honduran rain forest.

Adoption Authority

Honduras' Adoption Authority

Instituto Hondureño de la Niñez y la Familia (IHNFA) and Honduran Family Court

The Process

The process for adopting a child from Honduras generally includes the following steps:

  1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be Matched with a Child
  4. Adopt the Child in Honduras
  5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption
  6. Bring Your Child Home

1. Choose an Adoption Service Provider:

The first step in adopting a child from Honduras is usually to select a licensed agency in the United States that can help with your adoption. Adoption service providers must be licensed by the U.S. state in which they operate. Learn more about choosing the right adoption service provider. Additionally, all agencies operating in Honduras must be accredited by the government. IHNFA maintains a list of these agencies and information on registration and accreditation to operate. The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa maintains a listing of attorneys in Honduras who may be able to help you on the embassy's website.

2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt:

To bring an adopted child from Honduras to the United States, you must apply to be found eligible to adopt (Form I-600A) by the U.S. Government, Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In addition to meeting the U.S. requirements for adoptive parents, you need to meet the requirements of Honduras set out by IHNFA.

3. Be Matched with a Child:

If you are eligible to adopt, and a child is available for intercountry adoption, IHNFA in Honduras will provide you with a referral to a child. Each family must decide for itself whether or not it will be able to meet the needs of a particular child and provide a permanent family placement for the referred child. The child must be eligible to be adopted according to Honduras' requirements, as described in the "Who" tab. The child must also meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law. Learn more about U.S. immigration requirements.

4. Adopt the Child or gain legal custody in Honduras:

The process for finalizing the adoption (or gaining legal custody) in Honduras generally includes the following:

  • ROLE OF THE ADOPTION AUTHORITY: The Honduran Family Court acts as the adoption authority for children 14 years of age and older. The Instituto Hondureño de la Niñez y la Familia (IHNFA) is the adoption authority representing children under 14 years of age. The Honduran Family Court and the IHNFA review the petitions submitted for adoptions.
  • ROLE OF THE COURT: The Honduran Family Court is responsible for processing intercountry adoptions for children 14 years of age or older.
  • ADOPTION APPLICATION: If the child is 14 years of age and older, the adoption agency sends the adoption application (petition) to the Honduran Family Court. If the child is younger than 14 years of age, the adoption agency sends the adoption application (petition) to the IHNFA.
  • TIME FRAME: The timeframe for intercountry adoptions of Honduran children is currently under review by the Honduran Family Court. This is not accurate
  • ADOPTION FEES: The adoption fees are between $3,000 and $10,000 USD for attorney fees. Please be aware the Honduran attorney's required fee is Lps. 25,000.00.
  • DOCUMENTS REQUIRED: The documents necessary to adopt a Honduran child are currently under review by the Honduran Family Court (IHNFA). Please contact the IHNFA for more specific information.

NOTE: If you are asked to provide proof that a document from the United States is authentic, we can help. Learn how to get documents authenticated for use abroad.

5. Apply for the Child to be Found Eligible for Adoption:

After you finalize the adoption, USCIS must determine whether the child is eligible under U.S. law to be adopted (Form I-600). Learn more to file a Form I-600.

6. Bring Your Child Home

Now that your adoption is complete (or you have obtained legal custody of the child)following both requirements: Honduran law & US law, there are a few more steps to take in applying for a visa. Specifically, you need to apply for several documents for your child before he or she can travel to the United States:

1. Birth Certificate

You will first need to apply for a new birth certificate for your child, so that you can later apply for a passport for the child. Your name will be added to the new birth certificate.

2. Honduran Passport

Your child is not yet a U.S. citizen, so he/she will need a travel document or Passport from Honduras.

3. U.S. Immigrant Visa

After you obtain the new birth certificate and passport for your child, you also need to apply for an U.S. visa from the U.S. Embassy for your child. After the adoption (or custody for purpose of adoption) is granted, contact the U.S Embassy for final review and approval of the child's I-600 petition and to obtain a visa appointment for the child. This immigrant visa allows your child to travel home with you. As part of this process, the Consular Officer must be provided the Panel Physician's medical report on the child if it was not provided during the provisional approval stage. Learn more about obtaining a visa from the embassy. Please note that visas may not be granted immediately following the interview, if documents are pending or missing.

To learn about the Child Citizenship Act please read The Child Citizenship Act of 2000.

Back to Adopting from Honduras