Hyllus and Adoption
Hyllus was the son of Heracles and either Deianira or Melite. Heracles had helped Aegimius in his battle with the Lapiths, and in gratitude Aegimius offered him a third of his land. Heracles declined the offer, and to show his gratitude, Aegimius adopted Hyllus after Heracles died.
As an adult Hyllus killed both Sthenelus, king of Mycenae, and his son, Eurystheus, king of Argos. He and Aegimius' other two sons, Pamphylus and Dymas, gave their names to the three Dorian tribes: the Pamphylii, the Dymanes, and the Hylles.
"Aegimius." Available at: www.pantheon.org/articles/a/aegimius.html
- Adoption Celebrities
- Adopted Persons
- Mythological, Traditional and Divine Figures
- Military and Defense
- To Further Family or Political Alliances
- Family Friends or Acquaintances
- Adoptive/Foster Family Included Birth Child(ren)
- Wealthy, Famous, Noble or Divine Adoptive or Foster Families
- Adoptees/Fosterees from Wealthy, Famous, Noble or Divine Birth Families