Adopting from Sweden

(Redirected from Sweden)

The official flag



The official coat of arms

Uppsala Cathedral

The Royal Palace in Stockholm City.



Don Quixote at .


Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Sweden

A military power during the 17th century, Sweden has not participated in any war for almost two centuries. An armed neutrality was preserved in both world wars. Sweden's long-successful economic formula of a capitalist system intermixed with substantial welfare elements was challenged in the 1990s by high unemployment and in 2000-02 and 2009 by the global economic downturns, but fiscal discipline over the past several years has allowed the country to weather economic vagaries. Sweden joined the EU in 1995, but the public rejected the introduction of the euro in a 2003 referendum.

Hague Convention Information

Sweden is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Intercountry adoption processing in Hague countries is done in accordance with the requirements of the Convention; the U.S. implementing legislation, the Intercountry Adoption Act of 2000 (IAA); and the IAA’s implementing regulations, as well as the implementing legislation and regulations of the child’s country of origin. To learn more please read about Sweden and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

In addition to the U.S. requirements, Sweden requires prospective adoptive parents to meet several Swedish requirements in order to adopt a child. To learn more about these requirements please read about Who Can Adopt from Sweden.

Who Can Be Adopted

Because Sweden is party to The Hague Adoption Convention, children from Sweden must meet the requirements of the Convention in order to be eligible for adoption. For example, the adoption may take place only if the competent authorities of Sweden have determined that placement of the child within Sweden has been given due consideration and that an intercountry adoption is in the child’s best interests. In addition to Sweden’s requirements, a child must meet the definition of Convention adoptee to be eligible for an immigrant visa that will allow you to bring him or her to the United States.


For specific requirements under Swedish adoption law, please contact Sweden’s Adoption Authority listed under the contact section of this flyer.

How to Adopt

WARNING: Sweden is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Sweden before a U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5 Letter” in the case. Read on for more information.

Adoption Authority

Sweden’s Adoption Authority

Swedish Intercountry Adoptions Authority (MIA) Ministry of Health and Social Affairs Box 308 101 26 Stockholm Tel: +46 (8) 54555680 Fax: +46 (8) 650 4110 Email: Internet: MIA

NOTE: Most of the following information refers to the process of adopting from Sweden as country of origin, and would be used only in rare adoption cases from Sweden. Contact the MIA for more information on the process of adopting a child from a third country to Sweden.

The Process

Because Sweden is party to The Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Sweden must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order so that your adoption meets all necessary legal requirements. Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

  1. Choose a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider
  2. Apply to USCIS to be found eligible to adopt
  3. Be matched with a child by authorities in Sweden.
  4. Apply to USCIS for the child to be found eligible for immigration to the United States and receive U.S. agreement to proceed with the adoption
  5. Adopt or Gain Legal Custody of fchild in Sweden.
  6. Obtain a U.S. immigrant visa for your child and bring your child home

To learn more about this process please read about How to Adopt from Sweden.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Sweden. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. Getting or renewing a passport is easy. To learn more please read about Traveling Abroad in Sweden.

After Adoption

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

Adoption Services Support Group for Adopting Persons

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Sweden

Dag Hammarskjölds Väg 31, SE-115 89 Stockholm, Sweden Tel: (+46) 8 783 5300 Email: Internet: U.S. Embassy Sweden

The Swedish Intercountry Adoptions Authority (MIA)

Ministry of Health and Social Affairs Box 308 101 26 Stockholm Tel: +46 (8) 54555680 Fax: +46 (8) 650 4110 Email: Internet: MIA

Embassy of Sweden

1501 M. Street N.W., Suite 900 Washington, D.C. 20005-1702 Tel: +1-202-467 2600 Fax: +1-202-467 2699 Email: Internet: Embassy of Sweden

Office of Children’s Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 Email: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures: National Customer Service Center (NCSC) Tel: 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833) Internet: USCIS

For questions about filing a Form I-800A or I-800 petition: National Benefits Center Tel: 1-877-424-8374 (toll free); 1-816-251-2770 (local) Email:


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information