Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone ever heard of St Michaels Orphanage In Hopewell NJ? Do you know if it still exist? I was adopted from there in January 1952, I know it was run by Catholic Charities (sisters of mercy) I went there in 1969 but they would not give me any info. If you have and further information please contact me.... Much appreciated!:cool:
Advertisements
Catholic Charities, Diocese of Trenton has stored the St. Michael's records at their facility. If you have any questions or think I may be able to help, please feel free to contact me.
Nancy Morrell
Research Coordinator
CCTrenton
609-386-6221.
Hi
my name is linda. I grew up in st. michaels from 1964 to 1972 at that time my last name was hammell. i also lost 9 brothers and sisters somewhere after the placed closed down.. i was the last child to leave the place.. i was 11 at the time, now at 41 i am looking for my siblings.. i remenber that place like it was yesterday. sister mary margret took care of the girls.. if any one can help me find anything about the place or my lost brothers and sisiter let me know... The other day someone sent me a picture of the place from 64 with some kids in it,, guess what i was in it along with a brother or two. well guess i talked enought for now. hope to hear anything about the place.. thanks linda hammell
porkylinda
Hi
my name is linda. I grew up in st. michaels from 1964 to 1972 at that time my last name was hammell. i also lost 9 brothers and sisters somewhere after the placed closed down.. i was the last child to leave the place.. i was 11 at the time, now at 41 i am looking for my siblings.. i remenber that place like it was yesterday. sister mary margret took care of the girls.. if any one can help me find anything about the place or my lost brothers and sisiter let me know... The other day someone sent me a picture of the place from 64 with some kids in it,, guess what i was in it along with a brother or two. well guess i talked enought for now. hope to hear anything about the place.. thanks linda hammell
Hi Linda,
I Lived at St. Michael's from 1960-1962. Do you want to talk?
Linda Q.
Advertisements
mistral82
Has anyone ever heard of St Michaels Orphanage In Hopewell NJ? Do you know if it still exist? I was adopted from there in January 1952, I know it was run by Catholic Charities (sisters of mercy) I went there in 1969 but they would not give me any info. If you have and further information please contact me.... Much appreciated!:cool:
Hi. I am excited as I write to someone from St Michaels who may have some pictures or memories of my friend, Steven Gasda. Steven Gasda spent his entire life at St Mary's. After he turned 18 he went out on his own but it is very difficult when you have no one to help you get started. When Steven was 27, he was a well know figure in our neighborhood. My mother, who was already raising 8 children of her own, took Steven in our home at the urging of my brothers, who were between the ages 13 - 18. Steven lived with my mom as a son, for over 20 years. All of my siblings eventually moved out, including myself. When my mom died Steven came to live with me. My family and I hear alot about st michaels and would love more information about the facility, pictures, or anything you can offer. Thanks.
:cheer:
Nancy Morrell
Research Coordinator
CCTrenton
609-386-6221.
This is an excellent source to begin with, collect as much info as possible and call Nancy, she has connection to Catholic Charities records. Hope this helps you.
The date to these queries are fom years ago, but I'm giving this a shot...You responded to a "mistral82" I believe she was communicating with my father who was adopted & they think they may have possibly been eachother's siblings, but he passed in 04. I am taking on this challenge of finding who his birth parents/siblings, were. I can't even find a point to begin because I have no records whatsoever & hit walls each time I try, but I won't quit. I just need some help, any info or assistance you can offer, would be great. Thanks. Anna Edsall-Friel(d/o Guy Edsall/ born Guy Davis)
mistral82
I was at St. Michael's Orphanage at about 1952. I do not know if I can help you; but we must have known each other.
Advertisements
I was born in on the SS Saturnia and it docked in New York harbor and then my mother delivered me to St. Michael's Orpanage sometime in May of 1951. I then was adopted 8/20/51 by a wonderful family. I am trying to find out more about St. Michael's
ohangel
I was born in on the SS Saturnia and it docked in New York harbor and then my mother delivered me to St. Michael's Orpanage sometime in May of 1951. I then was adopted 8/20/51 by a wonderful family. I am trying to find out more about St. Michael's
St. Michael's
Orphan Asylum and Industrial School
Buildings
View of the main building seen from Princeton Road. The car allows for a good estimate of the building size. This photo, originally published in the Trenton Evening Times, May 11, 1964, was provided to us by Doreen.
The photo below shows the full scope of the buildings and the farm land behind the buildings. This photo, discovered by Doreen as she was cleaning out closets, was from a book. I do not know the title.
Is the area behind the buildings called Drake's Farm?
When St. Michael opened its doors in 1898, the first children came from St. Mary's in New Brunswick, NJ, to be cared for by the Sisters of St. Francis of Glen Riddle, PA. A nursey was added in 1914, a gymnasium was built in 1922, and the Boy's Building was constructed in 1931. The original Home expanded over time to be a five story, 450 child capacity, stone building on 500 acres of land, a very impressive accomplishment.
------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
Photo of the Home around 1970
St. Michael's Orphan Aslym and Industrial Home
mistral82
St Michaels is no longer there. The building was destroyed many years ago. There are some photos in the Hopewell, NJ museum.
I was actually born there, in 1953 to my birth mother. Her aunt who raised her apparently worked there so the story goes.
My mother was placed in st. Michaels orphanage during this time frame. Her name was Ruth Helen Rock. She had a sister by the name of Donna Marie Rock. They were adopted by a family in Whitehouse Nj by the last name of Higgins. Would anyone know of any information related to these two girls? Their birth parents could have been Charles Rock and Irene Rock ne Flannery. Thanks to anyone that could give some info
Advertisements
Hi all! I am trying to find information on my husband's family. His dad was in the orphanage with his brothers sometime around 1945-1959. My father in law left there around 1955 but his brother were still there. I am looking for any information anyone can give me. Their names were James (Jim), Robert, & Donald Walker. James would have been around 5 in 1945. If you can help please contact me.
Thanks
Cindy Walker
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
Hello my name is Diane Bruckmann Jordan
we have two sites on Facebook..
st michaels orphanage hopewell
one is listed under groups and one is listed under people
we are also starting a web site and looking for people to join
Come Join us...You will never know who you will find
Diane
[url=http://www.saintmichaelsorphanage.com/]Saint Michaels Orphange Hopewell, New Jersey[/url]