Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Wow...that's all I can say.
I am in Ontario and because I have Native blood in me (my grandmother is status) my husband and I decided to go through an Aboriginal fostering agency. Anyhow that made us somewhat aware of some of the issues with native children being placed in non-native homes versus native homes. I also realized that the band MUST give the ok before the child can be adopted.
All that said, I did not realize the problems that were involved in this. I personally know 2 non-native families that have adopted native children and neither expressed any problems with the band.
I am really really sorry if anyone has trouble adopting due to you being non-native. It is really sad actually. You see, the kids we have (fostering), all they needed was a good home one that had time to spend with them. They have been with us for almost 4 months and are prospering. It is unfortunate that they could have disregarded our home if we did not apply through the Aboriginal foster agency.
I have heard of preferring the Native, biological family over ANYONE else tho. We have been going through that with the boys as they are trying to see if there are any aunts available to foster them. But, I did not realize it was SOOOO strict in the US.