Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Unfortunately, there may not be enough Native homes and a white home may be considered.
We are presently being considered, after fostering a severely disabled child since infancy for almost 2 years. I believe we may be positively considered because I study and use alternative medicines and also utilize a type of enery therapy which is in concert with Native spiritual teachings.
Of course, this was not known at time of placement, but over the two years the Native family and I have gotten to know each other and they have told me I have a Native Heart. I considered this the highest of compliments.
Regardless of the problems of the People and on the reservations, the native culture is wonderful. Just as there are many good things in any segment of white culture, there are still problems with addictions and poverty. I have studied extensively the Native culture and spiritual teachings and those are what I would want to instill in any child. I believe the generational thread runs in all of us and the First Nations People have a very long rich thread which is still closely tied to being one with the earth and people. Many of us have lost the idea that we are all one. We cannot deny the history of the Native children. We cannot deny the wrongs done to them. We cannot deny the strong unity to the earth and heavens.
I would suggest you contact someone who can start educating you about the Native culture-and please not making headbands type stuff, but in living with the earth and with people. Not living in judgement of others, but with a sense of being.
Approaching this with judgement and insistence, will only be considered more of 'white man's ways' and will show a poor ability to parent a Native child.
We may still be turned down by the tribal council even though the mom and grandma consider me his mother and want us to adopt him. We must be patient and trust in the wisdom of the elders. Being patient is crucial. Because of the length of time this has taken, we have had more time to know one another. I havehad more time to educate myself further. I've read many books suggested by the Grandma. Of course this will be open and we look forward to learning more of his culture. I havemade it clear that lthough he is very disabled, his spirit i s whole and the Native part must be nurtured. I have accumulated a large set of tapes and CD's (child cannot see or will probably not read) and play these for him. He is getting a real drum for Christmas.
We have adopted two other children of Cherokee history, but they were not on rolls, so did not have to get tribal permission.
We look forward to enriching the whole family with the extra teaching of his heritage.
I suggest you read as much as you can about why the ICWA needed to come about and then start reading about the Native teachings. Blackwolf Jones and wife, Gina Jones, have some wonderful books. His grandma suggested "The Healing Blanket" and I just read it. It has three parts, a story, a section on Native ways, and poetry.
Adopting a First Peoples child means you adopt the history also.
If you can do this, it will enrich your lives tremendously.