Advertisements
Advertisements
Today I contacted the county DCFS office and inquired about classes and other requirements for becoming a certified foster family, as that is the first step in Illinois adoptions.
The worker asked me a few questions, one of which was, Do you know anyone that is adopted or has adopted?Ӕ I responded that I was an adoptee, and a birthmotherand I swear I could hear the disdain in her voice for the rest of the call.
I assumed (I know, bad thing to do) that things would be different. I figured that since I had œexperience with adoption, they would be a little more accepting.
She even went on to say that they donԒt usually allow people to foster or adopt if they have terminated their rights to a child in the past. She said, We only want serious adoptive parents. If we allow people that have terminated rights to a previous child, how do we know they wont do it again?Ӕ
I meancome on; she could have been having a bad dayŅbut GOOD LORD!
SoI donŒt know where we are. This is a major set back for us. Becoming licensed to foster is a requirement for Illinois.
Are all workers like this? Is this the norm? I am just floored
I could use some supportŅI am really down. I dont know what I am going to tell my husband when he gets home.