Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
What a good conversation! We have a bson (6) and a son who was foster to adopted at 2 days old (now 16 mo.). We kept our foster lisence and at this time only foster short-term newborns - those that are being adopted immediatly but need a few days of foster while the paperwork is finished (private agency). He've had one placement that lasted 3 weeks (longer than expected - some problems with the adoptive placement arose). Our bson enjoyed her being here but missed her when she left. Our hope is to foster older kids from the county system when our two sons are older.
When we started the foster-to-adopt process our bson was 4. It was hard for him to understand, but we used the terms first family, foster family and forever family. We went over it alot. Now at 6 he understands much better. I have heard it both ways on the birth order thing - some have had good experiences keeoing the birth oder, others say it works just fine not to keep it. Each family is so different, I think it just depends on the situation.
I'm interested in hearing more from others with this situation or who grew up with foster children in their home.