Advertisements
Advertisements
I wonder if anyone out there was familiar with the Salvaion army home in Tampa, Fl. during 1969. My mother was exiled there and gave up her new born baby boy, he is my brother and we are searching for him. It is my understanding that the girls were given alias names, I'm not sure of the purpose for this. Please reply, if you have any information.
Advertisements
I was in that home and gave birth to my son in nov. 1969 i am now starting to look for my boy. my mom had me exiled there as well. and i just dont remember much only it was a big 2 story old white house by a lake. i was there 5-6 months prior to birth and had to stay 10 days after having my baby. i am looking for any info on who handeled the adoption and so forth. i only know the hosp. Tampa General and the birthdate if you have any advice or helpful info please contact me. thank you jane Phoenix112870@aol.com
The agency that handled my brothers adoption wa called ( I think)
Children's services of Florida and I called them last week, left a message for a social worker the phone # is 813-238-3727.
I have not been able to speak with her, but I intend to today. I don't know whether or not she can help. My brother was also born at Tampa General and according to my mothers memory. this agency was the agency that would've handled most of the adoptions unless you secured it through a private attorney.
I'm curious, were you treated as she was? She tells me that the girls there were forced to use fake names and that everything was so secretive and shady. It's heartbreaking to me. I read a poem on the internet regarding the home we speak of , and I was profoundly affected. The state of Florida is a closed records state, so someone in our situation is up against many odds. There is however, a Florida registry that I have signed up for. This registry only works if the adoptee is also registered.
Good luck to you in your search.
lfiler
I wonder if anyone out there was familiar with the Salvaion army home in Tampa, Fl. during 1969. My mother was exiled there and gave up her new born baby boy, he is my brother and we are searching for him. It is my understanding that the girls were given alias names, I'm not sure of the purpose for this. Please reply, if you have any information.
I was there September-November 1969. We weren't given alias names but were called by our first name and the first initial of our last name.
Advertisements
janestevens
I was in that home and gave birth to my son in nov. 1969 i am now starting to look for my boy. my mom had me exiled there as well. and i just dont remember much only it was a big 2 story old white house by a lake. i was there 5-6 months prior to birth and had to stay 10 days after having my baby. i am looking for any info on who handeled the adoption and so forth. i only know the hosp. Tampa General and the birthdate if you have any advice or helpful info please contact me. thank you jane Phoenix112870@aol.com
I read your old post in adoption.com. Did you ever have any luck finding your son?
my mom was there 9/71 they did have alias it was the salvation army unwed facility at lake magdeline in tampa,fl off fletcher ave.
the adoption agency was childrens home society she gave birth at tampa general hospital tampa,fl
I have recently discovered that my now deceased mother was forced to put my half sister up for adoption by my grandparents in the very early 70's. She was kept at the Salvation Army Unwed Mothers Home in Tampa, FL. Her name was Terrie Odom at the time, but as I understand it most of the women there were given fake names. But I believe that her "real" name should be on the Birth Certificate. My half sister would be 2-3 years older than me. I was born in 1973.
2/29/16... New info. Mom's given name at the home was "Nan" and she gave birth to a baby girl in August of 1972 at Tampa General.
Anyone have any tips for trying to find someone that was processed through this home??
Last update on February 29, 11:26 pm by Timothy Smith.