Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
We don't have a whole lot of problems with the race card because my boyfriend is aa/cc (raised aa) but looks more hispanic than anything else and I am cc but look cc/na (my mom's birth dad is 1/2 na) and our five kids run the gamut of the color rainbow as some are birth and some are adopted.
I had a problem with his families VERY christain beliefs, in part because I was accomstomed to mostly judgemental christians and figured they would cast me as "going to hell" the moment they found out I did not share a great deal of their belifes. My fear was unfounded, they were and 8 years later are still really good about it.
The one challenge is that I am a "space" person ie: I have a HUGE personal space bubble and I don't like it invaded (except by my kids) and I don't know if this is true of all or many aa people but they (his family) have like zero personal space and they invade mine all the time. They hug and kiss and throw thier arms around you with out any warning.
The one really awesome thing about have a mixed race and interfaith relationship/family is my kids are incrediblly tolerant to differences among people, exterior and interior. Many times my kids do not even notice the things that seem so obvious to outsiders. ie: my kids are just as likely to describe a child as "the kid w/ the red ball" where someone else may see "the black child with the leg braces".