Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
As a late discovery adoptee, PLEASE tell him as soon as possible. Don't leave it up to anyone else to tell him.
I agree to tell him in a calm manner. Be sure to reinforce the love. He will probably be disappointed (but not at you) and may end up acting out. Just be there for him, as you would your own children. No matter what, just be there for him.
Our own adopted child knows he's adopted. As he's grown, we've allowed him to ask the questions. We answer him in a truthful manner. If we don't know the answer, we tell him. He's already expressed interest in meeting his birth parents, but has repeatedly stated he wanted us there with him--the meeting will be in 4 more years. Then again, he thinks it's neat that I've found out I was adopted...but he hates the way I did find out. Now he has someone to talk to about his feelings.
Don't overload him with the story at first. Just allow him time to adjust. Adoptees have issues, no matter when they are told. Be aware that at some point in his life he will want to meet or know his birth parents. Support him in this quest. It will draw you closer.