Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Stealing food
aMarylandfamily
As far as meals go - I'm not sure if we will have any college fund left after we feed our 14 year old for the next four years - not only does he eat a full meal at dinner time, he has a "snack" at 7:00 and then will often raid the frig for a Dagwood Bumpstead style sandwich at 9:30 before turning in ... and yes he does have that pudge kids this age get but also gained 3 inches in height in two months - so this eating which us adults often think "excessive" is normal! Just a thought -
My 14 yr old daughter and my 14 yr old fd eat like this too- O M GOODNESS. They don't stop eating! I do buy fresh fruits and veggies...the other day I brought home 3 pints of strawberries, 1/2 a watermelon and some precut canteloupe. They (well all 5 kids- the others are 8, 10 & 12) ate ALL that fruit in one day. Part of the problem has been that the weather has been nice so they've been spending a lot of time in the pool. Anyone who's ever had a pool and kids knows that 10 minutes in the pool = 1 meal burnt off LOL. When they get out they are all in here raiding the kitchen! Our food bill is more than my electric, water and both car payments put together. We're working on getting that down (man I can't wait to get that subsidy so it can help offset the darned grocery bill!).
Hazard, have you ever checked into the reasons as to why children hoard food? Maybe something you could do is give him some food (granola bars, apples, whatever) in a plastic bowl with a lid that he can keep at his bedside in case he gets hungry. Hoarding is typically due to previous neglect....that maybe he did worry about when he would eat again. Take that fear away by offering him some options. Don't think his actions are being done to tick you off. While he may be testing you, this is really about HIM, so see what you can do to help him, which in turn will help you.
Good luck!!