Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
But I think (and am assuming) that she WAS being definant when she said that. And would also assume that those words had been used in conflict with the parents in the past.
I didn't read this as a casual conversation when a child told a therapist "Oh, yeah. I have powers other kids don't have. Gee, itsn't that cool."
As I read this, I was picturing a parent bringing in a child whom they've had continual control battles with. During the course of those battles the kid is yelling at the parent "You can't make me eat green beans. YOU can't stop me from throwing this plate across the floor. I have special powers, and NO ONE is strong enough or powerful enough to make me do ANYTHING."
(That is something my son would have said about age 6!!! What's more, he BELIEVED it.)
So they go to the therapist. The therapist brings it up. When the child again replies that they have super powers, the therapist proves that she does not.
A control battle (and probably a pretty significant one) has been won. The child has been shown without a doubt that she is indeed not all powerful. She might be able to control ALOT of people, but she can't control the therapist, and she can't control her Mom.
That's the way I read that paragraph from Nancy's book. But perhaps I am "coloring it" with my own experiences.