Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
bippette,
I think your reading the post wrong. what you wrote, is very different. We had to hold our child for the same reasons you wrote.
The difference is the reason you held your child was because he was rageful or going to go into a rage. I call it safty, you call it control, but we are talking about the same thing.
So he would start a control battle that always needed in him not complying with the consequence, which resulted in a rage, which resulted in us holding him until he'd gained control. Then we'd have him go back and go back and serve the consequence, THEN we'd have him go back and perform whatever task had caused the original issue.
To me, that is considered preventive or safty. oh, any kid who throws things, no matter how old, can be a safty reason, some of these little guys have a strong throw, and boy can they bite....lol
Beth, The child in the above post, was not in a rage, or was defiant, she just said she had special powers. Which the therapist restrained her for no other reason then to prove her wrong. lovingly of course.
If your child came to you and said that, would you restrain them. IF your child said "i have a magic wand and I could do magic" does it call for an automatic restraint.
For me, there was no reason to hold this child simple because she said she had magic powers.
He'd be told to go to time-out. He refused to go. You'd then carry him to his bed and place him on the bed. He refused to stay in his room. He'd come out of the room and scream curse words, throw things, fall down on the floor kicking and screaming. Soooooo....what do you do with a child in that situation.
plus, you did the timeout first, then carried into his room, blah blah blah, you tried other non-invasive measures first.