Advertisements
Advertisements
I don't know why I'm complaining since he just has 3 weeks left, but since I have had yet another convo with his teacher to no avail, I'm a bit upset.
My ds used to bring home a book everyday to read. They were fairly easy for him, but it's still good for him to read each day. We have tons of books, but these were not any we have.
He no longer brings them home. I asked him if they've stopped with the books and he said, "No, just me, I've already read all of her books." OK, so he's read all her books, can't she send him to the library? I know the school policy allows students to go check out AR books, so can't he at least do that? I understand she doesn't have any books in her class on his reading level, but send him to the librarian for help! Don't let him sit there and be bored. He has been coloring, drawing, and even sleeping during reading! :eek:
He doesn't get in trouble for this because, well, he's read all her books. GRRRR!!!!
I must look carefully at the schools where we are moving. GRRRRRR!!!
Does is participate in the AR program. I don't get how they can expect him to take tests, if they don't allow him to check books out?!?
I know this isn't the point- but, we can get in the QAR program online and find out what books are in the right range, read them if you have them, or rent them at the public library. I also help Ivy pick out books ahead of time. If not she keeps bringing home the same ones! At our school they got to the library once a week, and can check out 3 books. The only rule is they have to have something at school to read at all times.
Advertisements
They do AR and he does check out books, but only 1 book each week. I'm not sure why he's not allowed to go choose a book during their AR time. Other teachers do that, he did it in K. I would go have it out with her again, but since we're moving, I don't see the point.
I know this is totally not the point, but can you get a list of the AR books and check them out from the local library for him? I have a list from our sons' school if you want me to pm it to you (although I'm sure you have a list from your school as well...)
Our local library keeps a list of all the books for each school. So, yes I can take him there. We do visit the library regularly, it just irritates me that his teacher has been letting him play or sleep while the other kids are reading. They have tons of move books in their own library, why can he get away with it because he's read all of her books?
Advertisements
That's crazy. As a teacher, even if the librarian had classes all day and was not available for constant "check out", I was always sending kids next door to Mrs. So-n-Sos room to find a good book. What kind of classroom library does this woman have if a child in her room has read all the books on his level?? I had large rubbermaids FULL of books in my storage facility and change books in my room out every nine weeks just to prevent this. I agree, take him to the public library where he can check out WAY more than one or two at a time and ask for the library rules at the next school he attends. Reading is a subject that can only be improved upon by practice, practice, practice. Now I'm mad. HeeHee
That's crazy. As a teacher, even if the librarian had classes all day and was not available for constant "check out", I was always sending kids next door to Mrs. So-n-Sos room to find a good book.
What kind of classroom library does this woman have if a child in her room has read all the books on his level?? I had large rubbermaids FULL of books in my storage facility and changed out books in my room every nine weeks just to prevent this.
I agree, take him to the public library where he can check out WAY more than one or two at a time and ask for the library rules at the next school he attends.
Reading is a subject that can only be improved upon by practice, practice, practice. Now I'm mad. HeeHee