Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
This is hard because I do agree with reform in the international adoption world. I hope that the Hague will bring some of this reform while still allowing children to be adopted.
That said, my children were born in Kazakhstan, not mentioned in the article but a country where lots of Americans and Europeans are now adopting from. Having spent months (yes months) in 2005 and 2007 in an orphanage in Kazakhstan I saw A LOT of infants. Not all were healthy and more importantly not all were available for adoption, but there were A LOT that were available. My travel partners adopted two toddlers that had been available for adoption since infancy but had never been adopted. I worry about the author's use of the word "majority" in her article.
I have one child that was born to a teenage mother, I have the hospital records and a letter from her to prove it, her family disowned her unless she put the baby up for adoption, at 15 she didn't have a lot of other options. I unfortunately have another child that came into care under sad circumstances and I have a police report and hospital records to prove that.