Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
That's an intense article, and the last line is certainly a kick in the gut, to say the very least.
My instinct, of course, is to be defensive. And on that note, here is what I am left wondering:
Does the U.S. (and other countries) provide more than money and opportunities for corruption? I know that many women in Guatemala have no chance of giving their children a better life. I know that the infant mortality rate in Guatemala is staggering. The motivation for a woman to place her child for adoption is desperation to give her child a better life, and, in approximately 50% of the children, life at all after 5 years old. No, they are not orphans. My children were not orphaned. However, I met their mother, and she wanted them to have opportunities. She wanted them to have an education. She told me this.
The term "orphan" is, in part, what is wrong with the system. These children are not orphaned. They are placed for adoption because their parents know exactly what their fate will be if they stay in a country that cannot give gainful employment to them. It will not educate them. It will not give them medical care. And, if they are murdered, it will not even send the police out to look for their killer. Many birthmothers are seeking a way out for their children of a life they have found so unbearably difficult. That is part of the reason why when adoptions shut down in these countries, the available children "disappear". They don't disappear. They live with their parents. And by 5 years old, almost half of them have died.