Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
skipchick
Wow, when I started this post, I thought I would just get "Oh, don't forget about this," or "I wish we had done this", or whatever. I never thought it would cause a firestorm like this. We are financially able to care for these children. My worker really encourages all of her families to fill this out. She feels as though this is something that is owed to the child. It is there to help them. If my two bio children had some issues and they told me I could get help, but I would need to fill out a few papers, I certainly would. My husband is an attorney, and I am a stay at home. We first balked at the idea of taking this money, but after hearing our kids' stories and so forth, I am okay, now. Like I said, we are fine without it, but I do not want to cheat my kids out of something. My kids have been in 7 different foster homes in the course of a year and a half. Several of those homes ended up in investigation, and the kids were removed. Their current foster Mom is fantastic, likea majority of foster parents are. But, my kids seem to have fallen in with a lot of bad ones in a row. My daughter has some damage from her young life in bio home, but maybe just as much damage for what was done to her in the system.
I just want to make sure my kids get the specialized care they need, and I am working on doing that. We also have very good insurance. We plan to use our insurance for the kids, but would like the medicaid to back us up, just in case that weird thing the insurance won't cover comes up. We are planning to put the money away the kids get for other large expenses in their lives. They will have the college tuition, and I think that is great. My kids will probably fall in love with a great private university, and we will be applying for scholarships like crazy. Then, we can use their money to pay for college. Just try to see the other side of things before reacting. I was once the same way about this subsidy, but have learned so much more about what the kids need and what they have been through.
I see it the same way that you do..if I get blessed enough to adopt my foster children, I will be putting half the subsidy in an inaccessible account for college. The other half is for other needs...growing feet and bodies, food, extracurricular activities etc etc.
Don't worry about the tone of some of the posters...everyone has an opinion. :grouphug:
In the forum search, you may want to enter adoption and see what pops up. Welcome to the family...there is a lot of knowledge here. If you have questions on something that a poster wrote, you can send a private message. I have established quite a few friends here.