Advertisements
Advertisements
Parents of emotionally disturbed children have an awesome responsibility to ensure that their child has access to early identification and intervention. Contacting the local school system, meeting with professionals to develp educational plans and procedures for implementation is essential. There are many resources for emotionally disturbed children in the community. Meeting with the child's peditrician can provide invaluable information of resouces as well. As a new member of this forum, I am looking forward to sharing information with each of you. If you have questions, please reply here.
I'm interested! My 4yo fd is definitely emotionally disturbed and she is intellectually delayed as well. I'd love to have any info you can provide! Thanks!!
Advertisements
i've 2 boys,been with me 4.5 yrs both have been permanently excluded from mainstream schools and thier difficult and bizarre behaviour has resulted in 8 yr old at general learning dificulties school and12 yr old at emotional and behavioural difficulties school.......the 12 yr old had 12 months with no school as they wanted to send him to out of county residential.
yet i can't get a diagnosis ...12 yr olds been seen a few times by mental health but 8 yr old only 1x......both are normal intelligence.....i'm told a diagnosis would only be for my benefit.
are us equivalent to child and adolesant mental health services better at intervention .
We adopted our son (age10) and daughter (age 9) from Ukraine 14 months ago. Since coming home, we have noticed that they are severely disturbed, however, we can't get the school to help us one bit. Infact, they make very light of the situations that we call to their attention.
With years of living in an orphanage and with a foster family who sexually abused our daughter, they suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Reactive Attachment Disorder, not to mention they were diagnosed in Ukraine with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
In the classroom setting, the teachers say our childrens only real problem is that they are still learning our ways and our language. And because they have only been in our home for a little over a year, they say for me to just sit back and wait patiently.
Our children have nightmares when the school allows them to watch movies such as Harry Potter- though we never signed anything allowing them to watch such movies. When I wrote letters to their teachers, telling them of the problem -they truely could care less. Somtimes they send our children to other classrooms so they can't watch the movies and sometimes - well, they just dont.
They have obvious problems with their classwork but the teachers "make accomodations" for them- (because they are english as second language learners), give them half of the classwork of their peers- yet when I mention that I think they may need an IEP, I'm told, that its not possible because they are still learning English. Can't something be done?
I'm not even going to mentino the medical problems they have.
I'm more concerned with the fact that our daughter requires constant supervision because she wants to act out the sexual abuse with other children at times. She already did this once after being home for only six months. Four months later she said she still has these desires.
WHAT DO I DO??? ANy sugguestions?
Wouldn't you call this SEVERELY EMOTIONALLY DISTURBED???
Both of my children were diagnosed here in the US by a licensed child psyciatrist. I suppose I should have added that to my entry.
Advertisements