Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone ever had any experience moving out of state with their foster kids? DH just got Top Secret Clearance from the FBI and we are waiting to see where and when a new job will be. We will probably be going out of state. We have 2 foster sibs. Dad is in jail awaiting trial and mom is engaged to a pedophile (so won't get kids). An aunt may try and get them but we've already told the state we'd like to adopt if they become available and we're willing to take them with us if we move, even doing ICPC. Anyone have any experience with this???
Advertisements
I hope someone has a better answer for you than I do.
My only experience with this is my friend's sister and brother in law. They had a teenager who they had fostered for 2 years and were looking at adoption (I really don't know most of the details) when some job things happened and they had to move out of state. The state they were in, Michigan, required them to get licensed in the state they were moving to before they would transition their foster son to them, so he moved to another foster home when they moved. It was about 5-6 months after they moved that he was able to move in with them. I don't know what has happened since. They, along with their foster son, and me and my then foster son happened to be at the same Christmas party that my friend was hosting two Christmas' ago, which was when I learned of their story.
I don't know if that will help at all. Hopefully someone has more personal experience.
i'd *GUESS* that if the parents' rights have not been terminated, or are not about to be terminated, then the kids will not get to go. i only make that *GUESS* bc i did move out of state with a foster child...i was asked to please wait until tpr, and did. but we could have moved before then because services had already been terminated (so no mandatory visits), and dcs was CERTAIN tpr would go through. as it was, had the parent won the appeals process, our child we had moved with, would have had to be returned to his parent in his state of birth. messy.
but at the pp stated, we did have to relicense in our new state. it took many MANY months and we had to start over from scratch. it was frustrating, and even though we started our icpc process over a year ago, it just ended about a week or two ago when i basically called people i shouldn't to push things through to make it be done. lol.
your best answer however, is going to come from your worker. be sure to run some scenarios by them, see what they say, and go from there. good luck!
A very long time ago--somewhere around 20 years--I knew a military family who had a baby placed with them. At about 9 months into the placement, he found out he'd be going overseas. The baby had been abandoned at birth in the hospital. Because there were no known parents, the state opted to change his placement to pre-adoptive and give the family permission to move on time.
Again, this was a pre-adoptive placement at the time.
I can't even take our kids across the state line an hour away to shop without all kinds of permission. While it may be possible, it's probably difficult at best.
If the official plan is still RU, and if the children are still having visits with their parents, I'm almost certain they'll move the kids to another foster home rather than having them leave the state.
Advertisements
Loaders for transportation and relocation, where to find them and how to choose a pro. Many companies and individuals provide services, but not all are good. Responsible people for the transportation of furniture must be with the contract and guarantee the performance of transportation. We found such use movers