Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone know how I would go about getting it? My bmom and amom would both be ok with me having it if it makes any difference. My adoption was in NY but I live in MO so I couldn't actually go in front of a court and dont have the money for a lawyer. Does anyone know how I should begin this process?
look up on the internet the laws governing the state you were adopted in.
the american system unfortunatly wont allow it generally unless there are specific reasons depending on the state.
In england (where I am from) i dont have the right to my birth certificate as it was invalid the minute i was adopted.... Its infuriating... to be told i dont have the right to something that belongs to me! Grrrrrr
why are you after your birth certificate for information? they dont generally give them out for the sake of it even in an open state.
Goodluck
Advertisements
I'm much closer with my bmom that with my amom. My amom is my amom but by bmom is just my mom. It would mean a lot to me to have papers that say she is my mom. I don't have any "need" for it except for that.
Here is the most recent info I have on accessing info from New York's records:
New York
By court order. Passive registry, (Now available to siblings) State Adoption Dept: Dept. of Social Services, NY St. Adoption Services, 40 N. Pearl St., Albany, NY 12243-0001 (518) 474-2868. State Reunion Registry: NY St. Health Dept., Adoption Information Registry, Corning Tower - Room 208, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12237-0023 (518) 474-1746.
Adoption records were officially sealed by law in NY beginning in 1935. There is currently legislation that would allow access and this group is the best resource for that:
[url=http://www.unsealedinitiative.org/]New York Statewide Adoption's UNSEALED INITIATIVE[/url]