Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
One of my biggest worries while I was considering fost/adopt was that I wouldn't be able to bond to the child and that I would feel like I was only babysitting. I was afraid of admitting it to anyone, though, for fear that I would sound cold-hearted and they would think me unfit to adopt.
Then I entered fost/adopt training classes and an entire class session was devoted to bonding. They taught us that it is normal to worry about it and to feel like a babysitter at first, but that bonding would occur slowly, over time. They told us to "fake it til you make it" and they promised us that we would all eventually make it. I was surprised that this was looked upon as a legitimate concern that could be talked about and not a dirty little secret! I was even more surprised to see the look of relief on my classmates' faces. Apparently, I wasn't the only one worried about it!
Your placements have all been short-term, so I think it is natural that you haven't bonded. If you are generally happy fostering, then I wouldn't worry about bonding. It will happen naturally once you get a placement that stays for awhile.