Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Having read so many postings about how adoptees confront community responses such as, "your adoptive parents gave you everything, why do you feel so sad? Why do you want to know your b-family?" I somehow ended up reflecting on our societal myths. And I thought of the Cinderella story. Somehow her marrying a rich, handsome prince erases all her feelings of grief and loss over the domestic abuse she suffered, the loss of her mother who'd died, etc;
And I think that somehow this very popular, powerful story contributes to the overall view that one can erase their sense of loss, whether it be adoption-related or otherwise, through finding rich and loving people. While that may be the case for some, I keep hearing of adoptees who, despite having loving families who provided them with 'everything', still feel a sense of loss.
Contrast the Cinderella story with the film, "Live and Become", whereby it portrays a transcultural/international adoptee and his Jewish family. "Live and Become" shows how it is possible for a deep, loving relationship can exist between an adopted child and his adoptive parents yet the adoptee may still long for his birth mother.
I wish that our society had more stories that depict the possibility for love and loss to co-exist. If we did, then perhaps we as adoptees wouldn't have to bear silly remarks such as, "your a-parents gave you everything so why are you searching/why do you feel so sad on your birthday/etc;"
Just sharing more of my musings here. Thanks for listening.:popcorn: