Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
If we did, then perhaps we as adoptees wouldn't have to bear silly remarks such as, "your a-parents gave you everything so why are you searching/why do you feel so sad on your birthday/etc;"
I wish that as a society there were more opportunities to learn about adoption and what it really is, because I think that the bulk of the aforementioned remarks come from people who simply do not know about adoption because society doesn't really provide the learning opportunity!
All high school psych and sociology classes [college too] should provide information about adoption, the different types, how it affects the members of the triad, etc. Why not? Thinking about topics that may be taboo and I think about how I had lectures on gay marriage, for example, when I was in college, and lectures on divorce - these are subjects that not everyone understands and that, as a society, we seem to be a bit uncomfortable talking about. Information would lead to a decrease in the silly questions people ask adopted people, don't you think?
I don't necessarily believe that more movies, TV shows, etc. would eliminate the questions to adoptees about why they're searching/grieving/etc. I don't think that people who do not have an emotional or personal interest in adoption-themed movies/TV shows/books/documentaries/news stories will bother to pay attention. Sadly, in today's society, it's very much "Me, Me, Me," and if people don't have a vested interest in the topic - they'll just fail to learn about it [politics is a good example of this - like, lots of people don't bother to vote because the big issues may not affect them personally].
What I hope is that people IN the triad continue to talk about adoption, and share their stories and struggles, so that adoption becomes something that everyone knows about - then the questions will be phrased differently, maybe like "So you're searching for biological relatives - that's got to be difficult. What kinds of hurdles are you facing?" instead of "Why would you even bother to search? That seems like a slap in the face of your adoptive family," and so on. Know what I mean?