Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a 10yo FD who has several intellectual delays. She has virtually no ability to analyze or reason, and she also has some coordination and visual perceptual delays - if she can't see it, she doesn't have sense of it.
The reason for this post is that she started her cycle recently and it was an absolute disaster. I had talked extensively with her about it on many occasions and made it really no big deal. Still, on the first day she went all day without telling anyone and there was a mess down to her socks by the time it was over. She knew about it and was completely unphased by the wetness and growing stain. I sat down with her and showed her how to clean herself and taught her how to apply the pads - she did fine - and sat her down with a schedule of when to change them (she typically does well with concrete directions that don't involve judgment). Despite all that, the next couple of days didn't go much better, both involving a change of clothes - which she was directed to do by a teacher both times, never realized it herself.
I really don't know how we are going to be able to deal with this on an ongoing basis... she does fine when I walk her through it, but I think she forgets to put the tabs down or puts the thing too far up front or back or something. Like I said, the reasoning and judgment is just completely not there. Maybe I am jumping the gun, but have any of you dealt with this and how have you handled it? Will an endocrinologist put her on something at her age? What options are out there? What about birth control (she will definitely be on it as soon as she is out of my sight for any length of time as she is VERY easily manipulated and could be persuaded very easily to do things though I don't think she would instigate anything, but at this point she is never without direct supervision)? Or just what have you done to get through this on a monthly basis - is there a product that you have found easier to use than others etc?
I have absolutely no experience with special needs kids but I'll give it a stab. you could try adult diapers because they'll absorb more and movement wont be a problem. Or what about those mega pads that they use after birth that are super long and wide ?
I know that they do stop periods in female to male transgender kids and little girls that start way too early theirs gotta be something they can do
Advertisements
What about pull-ups ( I think they make really big sizes) at school and pads at home? That way you can work on teaching her how to handle her period without all the mess or embarrassment at school.
I had thought of using diapers/pull ups... was a little afraid of her getting teased by other kids (she is mainstreamed), but don't know that it is worse than the other... I like the idea of that at school and the pads at home so I can monitor the use, haha why didn't I think of that!
I think I may try and get her into endocrine too... I feel a little bad because I feel like it is mostly for me. I mean it is for her too so she doesn't have to deal with it, it just feels more for me because she really doesn't care. :eyebrows:
You should see about getting her the birth control shot, ( I don't remember the name). Anyway, it stops the period completely in most people. Then you just make sure to get her in for her shot as scheduled. Some people do still bleed between shots, but from what I hear, it is nothing beyond needing a pantiliner. Just a thought...
They even have those overnight pull up type things. They definately come in larger sizes, and may be a little better at absorbing then a regular pull up. (Also, you may want to try the pull up concept at home first to make sure it will work before you send her off to school with it.) Also, how would she "change" a pull up without being TOTALLY obvious at school!? Isn't her teacher willing to "help" out, by reminding her discreetly? If it is a problem of positioning, the larger and longer pads may help. Also, this may sound silly, but how about if you got her a pair of cheerleading spanks (the briefs that go over a cheerleaders panties) These are snug, and may help keep the pad in place. (I remember this from experience as a cheerleader....lol) Poor girl!!! To be so young on top of everything else!!!
Advertisements
There are many, many younger teenage girls on birth controls these days to control periods. I think her doctor would be completely understanding and happy to get her pills or shot started. I imagine you'll have plenty more responses from others who've done that for their daughters with MR. It just makes an already challenging life so much easier when you don't have to deal with all that! I would call her regular doctor and go from there.
The birth control injection & implant can stop periods. You'd have to talk to your doctor about it.
Alternativly, is it possible to talk to your doctor about showing her how to apply tampons?
I'm obviously fully functioning mentally but at menstration time as a teenager and even now, I bled heavily and passed huge clots.
It was and is excruciatingly painful, and with such a heavy blood flow I HATED Pads & Liners with a passion. I thank the day I worked out how to use tampons as they're cleaner, last longer ETC.
My point is, pads are freaking awful, torture devices and if I had trouble with them, when I'm fine mentally, then I can just imagine how your daughter is dealing with it.
All you'd have to do is remind her to take it out, as long as the doctor has shown her how to insert and then how to remove, if you remind her and she's able to do the insertion it might work out well.
If your dd can't remember to change pads, I would not start her on tampons. Too much risk for toxic shock syndrome. Besides, according to my dd's ped, girls should not wear tampons in the first year of their period.
I think Brock's idea with the spanks is a great one and will help. Let's face it, pads are not made for young girls sizes, but for women and even then they don't get it right. ugh.
Her inability to sense when she needs to change it - can you get her to remember a routine instead? Say - Go to the bathroom every 2 hours and change your pad. Or if she has a heavy flow - an hour. etc. That way you could time it on a watch for her or something like that.
Can you talk to her teacher about this issue so she can send your daughter with a reminder to change her pad? I would get a laundry marker and put marks in her under ware so she just has to line up the pad within the lines.
Advertisements
With Lyla,(almost 9) We have already talked to our Ped, and will supress her period. Of course she'll have to go through the first one. She already wears a diaper, pad and pullup. She will not be able to keep herself clean..and I don't want to put that responsibilty on her teachers.
I would get the shot for her. Two separate people told me about it when I was in the hospital with my special needs DD. Its really the option of choice here from what I understand.