Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Was this a DHS case or were you with a private adoption only agency? I'm just trying to understand how the child was in foster care for 10m if the mother voluntarily placed the child with the agency...that part of your situation confuses me.
Just remember, you cannot appeal an order or decision just because you do not like it. You must have grounds, or legal reasons. So just because you can appeal doesn't mean your appeal will ever even be heard by a higher court. I would imagine that due to the voluntary nature of your situation that she'd have a lot more burden of proof in this situation.
The likely-hood of the court setting new precedent on appeal is not good. The will look to see if somehow she did not understand the voluntary nature of her situation. They will look at it and see if they waited the mandatory 72 hours after the child was born for the mother to consent. They will look at if she was of full mental capacity (ie, not drunk/high, of lower mental capacity, or suffering from some kind of mental illness) and if she was made false promises to get her to agree to the voluntary termination. They will look for legal errors in the process, but not just at the fact that she "changed her mind."
Here's a good article A.com has on the subject:
[url=http://library.adoption.com/articles/avoiding-the-pitfalls-in-voluntary-termination-of-parental-rights-.html]Avoiding the Pitfalls in Voluntary Termination of Parental Rights: -[/url]
The likely hood of you actually getting your hands on the appeal are slim to none. You are not a party to the case...so unless your agency shares it with you it's not likely you'll see it.
I wouldn't worry too much. Especially because she voluntarily placed the baby, her grounds are probably not good for appeal.