Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
It does seem less likely she'd start making allegations at 16 and adoptable if she hasn't done it before. Doesn't mean she wouldn't though.
We gave two reasons why we would not accept older girls at this time. First, we don't want to potentially raise our daughter-in-law (or son's baby mama). Though son is very strong in his convictions, there is no reason to make it tougher on a teenage boy. Second, *we* chose foster care; we don't want him to pay the price in terms of allegations that could haunt him forever. Our agency workers seemed to think we made a good case.
This is a hard choice, especially since BB and LB's case worker mentioned a 13yr old to use just the other day. They need a home with our attitude regarding keeping kids, even if they are hard to deal with. But I told the caseworker our reason for our age range and she completely agreed.
Sooooooooo, it seems, at least according to the workers we've had contact with so far, that this *is* a concern to be considered. However, we're foster parents, not one likely to take an outright adoptive placement. And there is a significant difference between taking a kid directly from their home or whatever versus one whose history, at least for a few years, is known.
I'm sure that isn't much help; it's a tough choice.
JFWIW, I was a challenging teenager but never in a million years would I have falsely accused someone of something like that. I would guess that most girls, even those in care, are similar. It just is a bigger chance, I guess.