Advertisements
Advertisements
Okay, it totally makes sense to me now! Same disorder, different life stages.
I think most mental illnesses are subject to at least a degree of genetic predisposition as a PP stated. Anxiety, depression, Bi-polar, etc would all surely increase the risk of developing BPD. :( And the key factor about the cycle of abuse/neglect that leads to the RAD that leads to the BPD etc makes a LOT of sense.
So, there is this thing called DBT (dialectic behavioral therapy) that is especially designed to help people with BPD (although it helps with other mental illnesses too.) I wonder why I have never heard of DBT being used on RAD kids??? The kid would have to be old enough to participate in the program and that requires and element of wanting life to suck less which maybe doesn't come till later, but....
So, several of you mentioned "unhealed RAD" or "untreated RAD" do you mean to suggest that kids actually CAN be healed of RAD? Do they learn to form attachments then?? I ask because I'm currently in school for social work and will be going to school for my RN afterwards and for a while was considering eventually working with kids who have attachment disorders but was really disheartened when the mom who I nannied for (whose children were adopted from foster care and who has her Masters in Psychology/Counseling) That children cant/don't recover from RAD...So can they? Do they?