Advertisements
Advertisements
When you started nursing your baby how much increase in milk production did you see? Like compared to you pumping? I suppose some of it you just have to guess since you can't tell exactly how much baby nurses from you but anyone have a rough estimate?
I don't know if my experience is a very good answer to your question but since no one else has posted, I will tell it. I never knew more than a few days in advance, except with the one baby who was older when I got her. I pumped for three weeks, and didn't get more than a dribble of milk. She was very antisocial and it took me a week just to get her to let me hold her facing me, and months to figure out how to get her to take the breast, with the Lact-Aid. When she did, she was eating a lot of table food and didn't nurse more than 3 or 4 times a day, but by the time we had been doing that for a couple of weeks, I felt like she was getting at least 2 ounces per feeding. She had been taking 8 ounces in her bottles for several months, by then, but she was apparently satisfied with just the four ounces in the Lact-Aid.
I have known lots of other women who have pumped in advance, though. Many of them got very little from pumping, like not even an ounce a day, but were soon producing multiple ounces when they started nursing a baby with a supplementer.
I hope that once you get the baby you can focus on the experience and not think too much about how much milk would are producing. I found that it was helpful to set a date to try to estimate the number of ounces they were getting from me and try not to think much about it until then. With my third child, who was the first I nursed until he self-weaned, I made myself wait for two weeks. During that time, I concentrated on bonding and getting feeding and nurturing at the breast established. Part of that was getting used to using the Lact-Aid. I just used it and watched for the normal signs that a baby is getting enough food. I did keep track of how much supplement he was taking the first couple of days we had him. After the first two weeks was up, I measured whatever he left in the Lact-Aid and kept track of it for 48 hours and then compared that to how much he had taken when he first came home and estimated number of ounces that he should have needed, based on his weight. For the rest of the time I was nursing someone, I checked once a week, or less. If you think about it too much, it can inhibit the let-down and also drive you crazy and turn what should be a wonderful experience into a stressful one. If it gets too stressful, it is hard to avoid the temptation to throw in the towel and just go to bottles. Not faulting anyone who does that. I did that with my first two babies. But, for someone who is highly motivated to breastfeed, and believes in the benefits of extended breastfeeding, it is well worth going through some hectic times in the beginning.
I hope I am not repeating myself, too much. I just see that you are really stressed about this and I want to say something to help you relax and not worry so much about the amount of milk you can express. I know it is frustrating. I have always felt that doing the BCP/domperidone protocol gives some people unrealistic expectations. Response to it is totally individual. Those who can pump the most milk tend to be the ones who post about it the most. I think that for every one who gets a copious milk supply there are probably several others who don't see much milk and throw in the towel. Also, like I've said before, I don't think it helps unless you can be on it for several months, before starting to pump or nurse a baby.
Lastly, don't forget that milk production is only part of it. In the last 15 years or so, it has gotten where the discussion about breastfeeding adopted babies has gotten more and more focused on milk production, only. I have tried to start discussion on breastfeeding as mothering, but there hasn't been much interest in it. It is extremely important and beneficial! I would rather see a baby being nurtured at the breast, getting part breast milk and part formula, than 100% breast milk in a bottle (that's not to criticize anyone who chooses to bottle feed, just my opinion). Dr. Jack Newman used to say the same thing, back when I was corresponding with him, back in the 90s.
Aloha,
Darillyn
Advertisements