Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I needed to see this thread today, and am vicariously soothed by the cheering on of the parent. My dd and her little brother joined us when she was 11. Six years later, with 9 months to go until she's 18, she is leaving. It was her choice not to attach. We had 4 different therapists at a highly recommended attachment therapy practice. That wasn't her fault, each of them changed jobs or moved. I've worked part time for these 6 years, entirely at home. When she could not get anything done in public school I enrolled her in an online-charter. We've spent all day together during the week for the last 4 years. Things were pleasant a lot of the time but to a great extent she was just becoming a more polished liar. She has a light at the end of the tunnel... the parents she really should have had years ago, non-relatives she lived with when she was small, before she came into foster care, will take her. They're good people, and her bio family lied to the social workers to hide that she'd ever lived with them. She's antsy to go and picking at us. We've got another week, I'm hoping we all make it. I try not to feel guilty that I will celebrate, because for the first time in 6 years I'll be able to really relax. I try not to feel guilty that I knew going into this that the more my adopted kids had problems, the more I would be told it wasn't my fault. That wasn't what I wanted for her but consciously or not, it is her choice for her.