Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
My ex and I adopted 6 children, all 6 had a minimum of ADHD. My ex left me with all of them when my youngest one was 1 and oldest ones at home were 7- a total of 6 at home. My 2 older daughters were 19 then. Fast forward to 2010 when my 13 year old twins decided to make allegations against me and destroy my house. Meanwhile my ex did not participate in their lives and still doesn't.
I have lost my job ( I worked as a Paraeducator in the school system), my house and all 6 kids. I became severely depressed in dealing with the loss. I got 4 of the children back with all kinds of therapy and remedial services, workers stopping in whenever they want, etc. I have tried to get help for my son who was finally diagnosed with MR and now DHS wants to move him to a residential home, he is only 10 and very attached to me, it seems that the staff think I spend all my time with him and not enough with my other 3 kids. Although I have one bio child who is 14 and 3 of the children told staff he is treated like a "prince". I have been trying to figure out where he "fits" in school and the community in order to get services. We haven't even had community based services that were for him and they want to move him. I am grieving and cannot imagine my daily life without him. We have all gone through so much. Then the county attorney asks for me to relinquish my 3 younger kids to DHS, which blew me away. I haven't given up on our family, but it seems that others have incorrect info about what has been going on. Everything is turned back on me about me blaming others for my lack of being able to care for my children.
Has anyone else gone through this? And are there residential homes close to Iowa City and not way across the state past Des Moines or by Omaha? I don't know where to turn anymore. Please help me, some may think that maybe I should lose the kids, but if you are a parent trying to figure out the system it gets overwhelming. Any help would be appreciated!