Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I adopted my two sons through the foster care system in Tx in 2005. I have always used Turbo Tax and filed electronically. I did not claim the adoption credit that year because I didn't realize I qualified for it as I had no out of pocket expenses. However, my sons do fit the the "special needs" status in several categories and do receive monthly state subsidy.
A month or so ago, my caseworker notified me and told me about the change to the adoption credit and the possibility of a refund. I have copies of everything I need. The problem I have is I have to amend every refund from 2005-2010. The turbo tax software is only available back to 2008, so I am having to try and do it all the old fashioned way. I know it all has to be done by hand and mailed in, but I was hoping to have the software to guide as to what would change from what I originally filed. I have read and researched and spent hours trying to understand it all.
I'm single and a teacher, and at one point had 4 dependents not including myself. So, I have always gotten my full refund on what I paid in, and most years the CTC and EIC. That being said, the form 8839 is confusing and so is the publication 972. I think I have finally figured out that basically I can take my tax liability each year and subtract that from the adoption credit (which would have increased my refund every year) and then carryover what is left to the next year. But, I cannot figure out how to fill out form 8839 or 972, I have read the full instructions many times, but it is a little overwhelming. I don't have the money to take it to a tax expert, especially considering that some people sound like they are hitting lots of road blocks on actually getting their refunds.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I know you guys are all probably sick of answering questions, but it sounds like there have been lots of experience here.
Thanks!
Alana Beck