Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Thread: Open Records
usisarah
Are you referring to open records after an adoption or loss of custody has taken place? If so, then no, I don't think records should be open to birth family members after an adoption has taken place. My aunt can't go pick up a copy of my birth certificate (at least I don't think she can), so after one is no longer the legal parent, I don't think they should be able to go pick up the amended BC of their relinquished child. Is that what you're saying too? Sorry if it's not.
Again, this is where things start turning gray. From one poster saying 100% open records to all parties, to now only the relinquishment records open to all parties.....and even not "all medical" records. Which is my point, I'm not against "open records", but there is a huge valley of nuance between being pro "open records" to anti "open records".
For instance, I'm totally in agreement, I don't want anyone having my medical records (I'm not a biological parent in any respect). Pffft, I don't know all my mom's medical information and I wouldn't want her knowing all mine--and the only treatment I've ever had was a myringotomy. But, let's say we go to open records---and the loudest voices want "open" to include medical records. Who decides which records are open? Who goes through to decide that an abnormal pap smear result 10 years ago isn't included but psychiatric admission for situational depression is?
I just think its more complicated than people like to admit.