Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I don't know that I would limit food right now. Just give very healthy foods, and reassure him there will always be food to eat.
Our youngest foster son came to us just a few months older than yours and a few pounds heavier, though about the same height %. He also couldn't seem to eat his food fast enough and would eat as much as we would. he would eat so fast and stuff his mouth so full that he would choke.
That being the case, there were no sweets for a long time. Fruit became desert, as did cheese, yogurt, applesauce/pearsauce, etc. In the year he has been here, he has not gained any weight (actually lost one or two), but has grown in height. Yet, when he first came CW said he needed to be put on a diet. I was not putting a kid that young on a diet, but he did get a lot of good-for-you foods. Oh, yeah, no soda and the like, though he knew what they were.
At first, we let them eat what they wanted, till they settled in. There was breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and supper. I felt like I lived in the kitchen, and heaven forbid if I was a few minutes late. We intially increased their activity level. Then, after a few months, we started giving them less, reassuring them there would be more at snack, etc. I started putting less on the table so that we could say, "oh, all done. Well, we will eat more at snack time." Now, we no longer have an impending need for morning snack, and they eat much more appropriatly sized portions.
We are still dealing with not chewing, but it is much more 'normal' now. Has been for a few months.