Advertisements
Advertisements
This is what I don't get about this state. Exactly what does it take before parental rights are terminated in NJ? The reason I ask is that my wife and I are fostering a beautiful baby boy who we are deeply in love with and were holding out hope to adopt, however, after going to court the other day, it looks like the court is going to turn over custody to his father with the possibility of the mother regaining custody at some point. But here's the problem. The mother has 5 children, currently, from 4 different fathers and another on the way with the identity of the father as yet unknown(the youngest is with us). She has had her children removed 3 times counting this time and from what we've been told, the reason why she keeps losing her kids is because she leaves them at home alone to fend for themselves often, the last time leading to one of the children burning themselves trying to cook dinner for everyone. Oh, did I mention that the eldest child is 7 years old? 3 times this woman has had her children pulled for the same reason and twice before, they were returned only for her to do it again, this time leading to an injury that could have been more serious or worse. So, what does the state do? They have her go through the same programs as before probably thinking she'll get it this time. As Einstein said, the first sign of a mental illness is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.
I mean, it's obvious this person is ill equipped to take care of a fish let alone children. But the state is probably going to allow her to get her children back. Better yet, it was said that she has a sister out of state who's willing to take her in for a bit and the state is more than happy for her to do this because once she's out of state and something happens to her kids, it's that new state's problem. Nice, huh? Way to look out for the children's best interests.
This brings me to dad. I have my theories as to why he wants this child and none of them have anything to do with actually wanting to raise a child. In fact, I have reason to believe that he and the mother are still involved and I wouldn't be surprised if he was the father of the new baby. That said, these people are not good parents. It's nothing to produce a child but it takes a special kind of person to be a parent however, the state sees things differently and I don't understand it. There is no way that these people could raise this child better than us. Anyhoo, does anyone know of a circumstance where parental rights were terminated because I want to know what the criteria are.