Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a question for any Texas FP's out there. How old does a child have to be to be in the top bunk of a bunk bed? We just moved my littlest STBAS, Squirt, from a crib to a twin size bed for the first time tonight (I am so sad now, how do they grow so fast?!?!)
Anyway, with 2 twin size beds in the room it feels tiny and there isn't much room to play. It's a separated bunk bed, so we can put it together. Can my 5 yr old STBAS, Munchkin, go on the top bunk with railings?
If I move Munckin to the top bunk, and then the agency finally answers my question and says no (I have been asking for 3 weeks) he will be heartbroken and we have enough issues going on with him. We just couldn't wait any longer to move Squirt.
If it helps, the bed is pretty short. I think it is only going to be about 4 feet off the ground from the top railing to the floor.
I don't know about Texas, as I am sure all of these are completely different.
Here in Ohio in my county, we are allowed bunk beds, but the top child has to be age 6 or older to be in the top bunk. I don't remember them talking about height of the bunk beds. i don't know if that really makes a difference.
Advertisements
I think it would be a safety risk, since the little one could climb up but I can't remember the rule. Maybe a trundle bed? Are those allowed?
Not sure, I am in Texas and I think I would call someone. Do you not have a contact at your agency? I know my son is almost 5 and he would be fine in a top bunk but not sure about fk's... Even if you can't get in touch with your cw maye there is someone else you can call?? sorry, wish I was more help...
What about a toddler bed for the little one? I like to move directly to a twin as well, but if its a space consideration, a toddler bed takes up less space. You could buy some time until the older one is 6 and you can move them into bunks, or until the adoption is final when you can do whatever you feel best as a parent.
Advertisements
We are in Texas (region 4) and were told bunk beds are allowed, but I don't remember the age...I know that's not helpful! GL :)
I'm in Texas and our agency doesn't allow bunk beds at all, so you probably need to wait for your agency to answer. I believe the only stipulation by Texas statewide however is that the child has to be walking age.
There is no age limit on bunk beds in Texas. Of course, an individual agency may set a limit. Our agency also doesn't set a limit. Additionally, you would take in account the needs of the children involved. You have to be mindful of whether it would be wise for YOUR five year old as well as if it will be an issue for the younger child.
JFWIW, current wisdom says that children should be over six. I don't think it is necessary to make a hard-fast rule, but it may help you make a decision.
We don't allow children to play in their rooms at this time so that probably helps in our situation. Is there anywhere else the children can play?
Advertisements
If there isn't a steadfast rule - go by the kiddo. My sister's 5-year-old foster son could sleep on a top bunk (he switches back and forth between the top and bottom bunk as he is the only kiddo in the room), because he sleeps very still and well. My son, who is 6.5, I would not put on a top bunk because he tosses and turns sideways and sometimes ends up half way on the floor.
Sorry, it has been a crazy weekend and I just got time to get back and check. We decided to move Squirt now even though he was young for it because he is so tall and there are no toys in the room due to Munchkin's behavior.
We had planned to wait until Munchkin turned 6, but we didn't think waiting another 6 months would be a good idea. Squirt can't go into a toddler bed because they would be too small also. His crib converts, but he is too long!
I asked my agency, but they still haven't gotten an answer to me.
We are just going to wait for permission, I guess. Hopefully we will get it soon.
what about a trundle. IKEA has a bunkbed that my boys are in, and if we adopt another boy, they have a trundle that is made for the bunkbed. We will get that. But they do have trundle beds that would be lower to the ground but slide away when not in use so that you would have the whole room.
Carey
[url=http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00161837/]TROMSÖ Pull-out bed - IKEA[/url]