Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
DeborahM2B
For children with hydrocephalus outside of the U.S, what is the possible outcome for children with a sVP shunt which is 3 years old? ALso, for children who are unable to walk with hydrocephaly, are they immobile for life?
I don't know a ton about the exact answers you are asking. I'm not sure anyone will. It would be such an individual thing. It all depends on the damage to the brain and the reasons for the immobility.
My brother-in-law was born with Hydrocephalus. Mom was told that there was a 50/50 chance that he would die at birth. If he lived, there was no way he would live past 7. He would probably never walk or talk or ...
He lived. He was very delayed in all of his landmarks, mostly because he had this tiny little infant body and a huge heavy head. But he eventually rolled over and walked and such. He eventually worked his way through school and graduated with only 1 extra year of high school. He is married and is a father now. I'm not going to say he is normal. He is mentally delayed and socially awkward. But he did find his perfect match and is leading his life.