Advertisements
Advertisements
Do foster kids automatically get wic? I didn't know that but the placement worker (left a message) casually saying he was going to bring some paper work over and something I needed for WIC?
I tried calling him back but he didn't answer.
Advertisements
We didn't get told about it; someone I know who used to foster told me to ask about it. When I asked the caseworker on my first placement, she was noncommittal and didn't encourage anything. Then I asked my licensing worker and she said to call the WIC office, which I did. Turns out, I don't need to go through the caseworker at all for it (and most things other than what's actually coming from the state). I just made and appointment with the office closest to me and took the child and his paperwork with me.
I don't know if it's different for different states, but here every foster child is eligible, although the amount you get is based on the stipend you receive.
In OH they do. I also was not told about this when I had the girls, but was told when I got my son because he was on special formula that costs 150$ a month.
I'm pretty sure they automatically qualify.
Depending on the age of your child/your financial situation it may or may not be worth it.
At least here you have to go to the WIC office every 3 mos for nutrition counseling and to pick up WIC checks-- during business hours. You have to shop at a grocery store that accepts WIC- which is not one that I usually shop at.
It's more worth it for formula which is expensive- for me less worth it for toddlers/preschoolers.
Yes in Florida all foster kids under 5 are eligible for WIC, and they told us that in MAPP class. All I did was take my placement form to the health department the very next day after I got a placement, and they gave me my first set of WIC checks. It doesn't matter how much the monthly stipend is, its the same amount for everyone. Next month when I go to re-certify they said I have to have the child with me for that visit.
Advertisements
My sw didn't know that they do but the WIC office lady said all foster children under 5 qualify for WIC they get their own card separate from you bio children (if they were getting WIC) so they can take it home with them or to their next placement and also because they are their own household. Sibling will share a card. All you need is their placement letter but they also like it if you have the shot records as well.
Yes. All foster children in CA up to the age of 5 get WIC. You should have been provided with docs to take with the kiddos to the WIC office to get started on the coupons.
WIC is great if you have an actual WIC store in your area to go to. I hate using the coupons in the regular grocery store...people stare and don't like to wait in line behind you.
in MT we have had some on it and others not. At first I told the sw that I really didn't want it but they insisted since the boys already had it.
In the end it was cool though, we ended up getting lots of random stuff like bagged beans and tortilla shells, which we used to make funner foods for them.
We ended up getting looked at by everyone regardless, R was autistic so would insite interesting little tidbits into shopping, and the boys were Native with dark skin and we are a blonde haired white couple. I never really felt like the WIC checks made us stand out much, it was always the other stuff.
It is a federally funded program, and while some agencies seem to have issues with the idea of "double dipping" into the monies and programs, the WIC program, like the Free and Reduced Price Lunch Program are there to be used by anyone who needs it--and fks qualify.
You will use the amount of subsidy as your child's income. They do not need to know about your income. The kids will qualify if they meet the age requirement.
I don't know what the use of WIC does for your county, but i do know that an increased percentage of free and reduced lunch participants can help schools qualify for different federal programs that bring money into the schools that enrich all kids.
The help is there. I say use it.
Advertisements
yes they do qualify. All i needed was her placement paperwork and her medicaid number. I didnt need anything from the cws to set it up and they didnt seem to care if I did it or not but it was a huge help with formula.
In Texas 5 and under get it. I took Miss Smiley in and an hour later dhe had it. It's just like a debit card here and every large grocery store accepts it.:fish:
In my area all foster kids get it. The sw does not make a referral just set an appointment and they will weigh & measure the kid. They will ask for an iron check from the doctor. You just need the paper work that you are the fp.
FD was automatically qualified for WIC. SW notified the WIC office and they called me to make the first appt. I showed them a letter stating that she was in DHHS care and living with us. That was it.
Advertisements
Yes they get it, but it's no fun going in to get the checks when you are close to 40 and everyone else is 19-23. HA! Thankfully I don't look close to 40 but they sure do make me feel like it, lol.
arbuckle17
in MT we have had some on it and others not. At first I told the sw that I really didn't want it but they insisted since the boys already had it.
In the end it was cool though, we ended up getting lots of random stuff like bagged beans and tortilla shells, which we used to make funner foods for them.
We ended up getting looked at by everyone regardless, R was autistic so would insite interesting little tidbits into shopping, and the boys were Native with dark skin and we are a blonde haired white couple. I never really felt like the WIC checks made us stand out much, it was always the other stuff.
This is the other part of WIC that makes me feel uncomfortable. If it didn't help so much I'd bypass it. Last time I went @ 6:30 AM to try to avoid ''people''' but I still encountered a young impatient gentlemen behind me that puffed his way over to the next aisle. I also admit, it is a bit of a ''pride'' issue for me!